b20 sportsman for sale (not mine)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

b20 sportsman for sale (not mine)

Post by Todd Pearce »

looks like a real sportsman but converted to O/B, not mine ,no connection, but thought someone here might like it, well priced as well craigs list baltimorehttp://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/4400542796.html
John F.

Re: b20 sportsman for sale (not mine)

Post by John F. »

I couldn't get the link to work, so try this:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/4400542796.html

Annapolis is very close to me. That boat has been for sale for a few years. I think Crae (aka Mack) looked at her. If anybody here is interested, I could look at her for them.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Michael

Post by Michael »

Not sure that it is a real sportsman. Center console is not original, forward casting/deck area is higher than original. Can't see engine bay area and aft deck to see if they are Sportsman designb.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Still a fair price, I think.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

John,
I shot you a PM.

Thanks!

Dug
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

As Michael said, not a factory Sportsman, (I was on my brother's today); but hey, it's the hull that matters so I agree with Mean Mike: nice boat for the money.
Dug

Post by Dug »

The seller claims its factory original. He said it was sold to his father or father in law by a fellow who worked for Bertram when they made them. Reality is however that the bracket, transom work and all the glass work in the interior would cost a princely sum to accomplish from a std 20 as we all know, so its worth considering... Depending on the level of quality and finish work. IMHO
Michael

Post by Michael »

Not original. Does anyone have a picture of the aft deck of the engine box if still there?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Other than the transom, how do we know its not original? I am genuinely curious.

Thanks,

Dug
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

If anyone buys this I have a nice running 1999 Yamaha 225 fuel injected for sale just sayin!!
Michael

Post by Michael »

Dug,
The console if original, has been heavily modified. Where console attaches to floor, the original flange on the console was recessed into the floor, not raised like this one. Should be no raised area forward of the wheel, and there was a door to close off the space under the console. Can't see in these pictures, but there is a storage hatch under seat area in front of console, and a hatch opening on the front seat back rest area.
The front casting area if original, looks to have been raised based on the pictures. Also an original would have had only one central hatch opening. This one looks to have 3. There were 2 storage access hatches on the vertical face of this casting area.
Also there should be a small bulkhead up forward which creates a small anchor rode locker. Bulkhead is "missing". See some under deck supports - have not seen them on originals, especially the ones up forward - maybe there because no bulkhead?
Should have wood sides along step on either side of boat under the deck to create a sort of storage shelf.
There should be a hatch in the floor ahead of the console and behind the casting area - don't see it in these pictures.
I know my pictures that I posted are not great, but I think you can see most things I am talking about