Transom

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Transom

Post by John F. »

Crows Nest before:

Crows Nest after:

To each his own, but I wasn't crazy about the swim platform. Not looking to reopen the trim tab debate, but at least on Crows Nest, when they worked, digging the bow down made just a little difference when in a chop. The tabs didn't work, and I was on her once awhile ago where one of the tabs got stuck partially down. That really sucked. So, away they went. One less thing to break. I can always put a new set back on.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Re: Transom

Post by MarkS »

Looks great John!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Looks good. Nice job with the buffing wheel. She really came up nice.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

You've obviously been busy over the winter; congrats on getting her ready to splash, John..she looks great.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Did you add that drain?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks. It's been a busy winter. Doug put the drain in. I had put a drain in my previous B31. I'm hoping to splash her today, get her to my dock, and start on the helm/flybridge
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote:Did you add that drain?

Was there a lack of drains on the 31's?

I remember the year I bought mine...at years end I was so busy at work I made arrangements for yard to haul her without me...I just had to bring around and tie up at the Well the night before.

I get a frantic call early afternoon, they pulled boat, chocked and cannot find the drain plug and its supposed to rain hard the next few days.
I told them not to worry I'd be down in a bit and find it...

Sure enough, I get down, not a drain plug to be found...so back to the car I go, grab my trusty cordless with biggest drill in the box and pop a hole where water had pooled.

Not sure why...but figured prior steward sealed it up and would find a tell tail repair down the road. Prior steward had done some strange modifications...like cut all non essential electrical lines, removed automatic bilge pumps, cut all freshwater hoses, pulled out the water tank and the head...it was used strictly as a fishing boat...oops got side tracked.
The year I stripped the bottom...no signs of a drain could I find. Prior owner was good at making obvious repairs so know I would have found his handy work...found the repair at the bow were he hit the rocks of VZ Stanchion...had a big fish on.

Anyway, drains a part of 31's, if so where?

Looks great John! Now splash her and catch some Rockfish? Thats what you guys call Stripers right? Same season as here? Spring and Fall runs?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Carl, the standard drain is under the forward cabin floor hatch, essentially in front of the counter, not the sink. It blows because no yard ever blocks the boat level, they always block them stern down because most boats nowadays have transom drains. I should have put one in this winter. Didn't think of it. Oh well, story of my life...
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

looks good john
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

John F,
The boat looks great, on the drain plug, the factory put them under the forward cabin hatch, mine never had a drain until I put one in 1978, the boat was always stored inside a building before I got her. Make sure the drain plug is tied into the bonding system.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Pete Fallon wrote: Make sure the drain plug is tied into the bonding system.
Pete Fallon
Great tip -- that would be an oopsy to explain if there was some volts leaking nearby.

Tom
Carl

Post by Carl »

Pete Fallon wrote:John F,
The boat looks great, on the drain plug, the factory put them under the forward cabin hatch, mine never had a drain until I put one in 1978, the boat was always stored inside a building before I got her. Make sure the drain plug is tied into the bonding system.
Pete Fallon

Thanks Pete, Thanks Dug. Pretty sure I do not have one there.

Funny Dug. I put the first drain hole just inside cabin door the first year as that is where the water sat and was easily reachable.

Second year I get hauled the boat looks like its cruising at 1500rpm with the Who's Who of the All You Can Eat Society sitting on the transom. Out comes the cordless drill and my second drain goes into the transom just like on Johns boat.
Bond the plugs....hmmm sounds like a good idea. I'll add it onto the to do list if I go back in this year.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I don't think the 31s came from the factory with Garboard drains (transom) but just the one slightly port of centerline under the forward cabin floor board (just before entering V-berth) as stated above. The first thing Capt. Pat did when he took charge of Island Girl was to install the Garboard drain in the transom. As noted, yards normally block boats stern down.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

When I ran a yard a millennium ago, we always tried to set the boats with the water line level,that put the gar board plug up forward in the lowest position. I know have 3 in 3bilge areas as I have water tite bulkheads, along with 3auto bilge pumps, I keep my boats on boat lifts and when I plan on leaving for an extended period of time, I remove all 3garboard plugs, I've seen a couple boats break boat lift cables with out the drain being pulled and the battery goes dead
scot

Post by scot »

Beautiful, very clean.

Where did you get the stands? I need a set.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0