amsoil

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

amsoil

Post by Bill G. »

Anyone used or is using Amsoil in their gassers?was using 25w40 Merc synthetic oil which they no longer offer and am considering Amsoil 10W40 OR 15W40 as opposed to Merc's partial synthetic oil....TXS Bill G
tjhartsr

Re: amsoil

Post by tjhartsr »

hey bill my buddies been a dealer for amsoil for a long time so i run 5 w 30 in my gmc pu since new 150k in 3 years and 15 40 in my 315 yan mars in my31. i don't have the that many hours on the boat but i use it exclusively.no issues.you can get it shipped direct especially if a business acct. saves . btw i also ran 5 30 in my other gmc 04 280 k. till i gave it to my son .
John F.

Post by John F. »

Its what the Ducati dealer recommends, and its expensive, so its gotta' be good.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Maybe Tailhook Tom can give us some info. I believe he works for them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have been running Rotella T6 synthetic 5w40 in my Ford 6.0 diesel for years now and all of my UOA's look great, even after running it to 15k miles (I know that is pushing it and I only did it once). $21 a gallon at Walmart and Shell is running a $5 per gallon mail in rebate right now. $16 per gallon cannot be beat!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

A friend of mine uses it in everything he has that takes motor oil he swears by this stuff he recently took his motocycle to a dealer for some kind of engine recall and when the mechanic opened it up he called my friend up and asked him what kind of motor oil he was using because it was the cleanest engine inside that he had ever seen.He love this stuff!
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Tony Meola wrote:Maybe Tailhook Tom can give us some info. I believe he works for them.
Hi Tony:

You are close -- I work for Chemtura, we are a specialty chemical company that manufactures, among other things, synthetic lubricants. Although I don't work for Amsoil directly, as they are a customer of ours, I will be in one of our plants next week down in New Jersey that makes what goes into their containers -- we don't make everything in it as far as I know. We don't sell nor make anything that an end user can buy anymore. We used to though -- Amalie and Kendell were ours forever until we sold those lines.

I run something similar in my vehicles, and have yet to get rid of one with less than 250,000 miles.

Best regards,

Tom
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

FYI -- and please keep in mind I'm in corporate finance, but I do get to spend a lot of time at our plants on various special projects, the link below will bring you to our Petroleum Additives webpage -- and I'm no chemist by any means, but you will get a flavor what what our products do. As I said, we do not sell directly to anyone, nor do we manufacture products for end users.

http://www.chemtura.com/bu/v/index.jsp? ... mt=default

I do run Amsoil in my car and have for the past 3 -- with great results -- my Quattro had 345,000 miles on it and ran perfectly when traded in, my Acura had 247,000 but didn't run when I traded it in (motor was detached from car while running, not a good thing, then again 5 car accidents usually aren't) and my Volvo currently has 190,000 on it and runs perfectly. It is an expensive oil change, but $120.00 (two changes per year) is cheap maintenance. I use the signature series and buy 3 gallons at a time (I hold 6 quarts with a filter change).

Tom
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I read a report a while back that said if you run 25% synthetic with conventional oil, you will reduce scuffing. I think in a marine engine, especially those were the oil is changed out quiet often, using 100% synthetic is probably not needed. I am not sure if it increases fuel mileage. Probably not enough to make a difference.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315