TEAK REFINISHING

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

TEAK REFINISHING

Post by Craig Mac »

I have a fighting chair that has a teak footrest. The teak was refinished by the factory and I believe they used multiple applications of polyurethane --there is a small edge that has worn through to the wood, what is the best way to fix, short of stripping and refinishing?
Marlin

Re: TEAK REFINISHING

Post by Marlin »

I would first try to sand out the bare area with 150 on a block, long strokes to fair the area in , if the area starts to turn a greenish cast as was often original hue, let age foe a few days,if black already, atemp to bleach out with correct bleach product, resand lightly if needed, apply a coat of capts varnish, if the color is way off ,wipe it off with thinner, I have actually had to stain bare areas to get the color closer to the factory hue,I have a Pompanett chair in one of my boats that required some red stain to get the color right, once the color is there, apply a multiple of coats of captains varnish on the repaired area primarily, after 4/6, block sand again with 220 ,wet or dry, apply several more. Coats, block sand with 320 , apply a couple more coats to the repaired area, ,let cure for a week or until the smell goes away, this degassing is part of the curing process,scuff up the entire area with 320 wet or dry after thoroughly degreasing and apply several coats of awlbrite,roll and tip or what ever your comfortable with. These last coats are the sacrifice ing coats that need to be redone often, in the south I have the brite work done twice a year minimum,not a big task if u don't let the varnish go thru to bare wood