Modernising The B20 Traditional Look

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chris W

Modernising The B20 Traditional Look

Post by Chris W »

I am not sure how many traditionalists will think this is wrong, but I have reshaped the side cabin windows in my B20 Bahia Mar as the rectangular shape just did not appeal to me at all. I notice Ian Upton does not have any at all and it looks excellent. The boat didn't have any name plates at all when I bought it. There is a guy on Ebay selling vinyls with the brushed aluminium look. I don't know if I will use these or source reproduced name plates? Image You can see what I have been up against if you look closely at the condition of the gel coat. ImageI love the new look.
Bertramp

Re: Modernising The B20 Traditional Look

Post by Bertramp »

Are you having a custom window fabricated ... Or ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I always thought the windows in the B20 were pretty worthless. I figure if it is too dark and I feel I need something g later I can always add.

I do have the Bertram 20 emblems going back on (and the eagles).

Ian.
Chris W

Post by Chris W »

Yes Bertramp, I am manufacturing stainless steel surrounds and using 1/4 inch grey Perspex. Thankfully I am a sheet metal worker by trade so it is a cheap exercise.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Chris W wrote:I am not sure how many traditionalists will think this is wrong, but I have reshaped the side cabin windows in my B20 Bahia Mar as the rectangular shape just did not appeal to me at all.
IMHO, if you're doing something tasteful (and, IMHO, you are) you're keeping with tradition...
Chris W wrote:The boat didn't have any name plates at all when I bought it. There is a guy on Ebay selling vinyls with the brushed aluminium look. I don't know if I will use these or source reproduced name plates?
Hightide Marine http://www.hightidemarine.cc may have the original OEM parts that you need... They do NOT have their full catalog on-line so you'll have to contact them...
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ian, I like the look, when I mocked up my cabin the original design gave me the angle I needed to make it look just right, look at the bow rake with an angle gauge, flip the angle and there is your new port hole angle. Keep up the new look. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?