GAUGES

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

GAUGES

Post by Craig Mac »

getting ahead of myself and thinking of next winters project.

i have original gauges and wiring harness from 1977---although i repowered in 1995--Gas Motors. some of the stewart -warner gauges are acting up and i have also refurbished an original dash bezel--for some reason mine was missing when i bought the boat in 1988.

would like to get new set of gauges and wiring harness prewired to the gauges---is that possible---who does ity--any idea the cost?
capy

Post by capy »

Craig,

Several years ago, I had my VDO tachs fail from being exposed to the elements when my canvas failed..... these guys found me a pair of replacements and acan prety much build any obsolete gauge from scratch

http://www.davidsonsales.com/welcome.htm

Rewiring to change gauges wil run you 3-4 k easily.
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Here is a picture of the way we redid my original chrome instrument panel. I had it rechromed, and then Billy from Carvers got the new VDO guages from my new Cummins 270Bs to fit with about three hours of work. I was able to shrink down the two huge Cummins panels into the original by getting rid of the keys and switching to the black starter buttons that you can see. The on/off is under the dash with a chrome pull switch like original. A VDO distributor was able to sell me new chrome round bezels (a couple of bucks each) to replace the original black square ones. The idiot lights on the Cummins panel fit into a hole designed for it in the back of the guages (Billy had to grind the holder for the light to make it fit, but it worked well).

I like the way it came out because it is true to the original which I think was a very cool design and it is compact and efficient.

John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

One more picture of the panel and dash:Image
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Nice job on the instrument panel !!!
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

your dash looks great--is your boat still at Carvers--i will vist them in a week or two
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Could you please post more photos of your B31 ??
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

John,
Looks like Ricky got the enclosure up. I hear the riggers are on their way as well. Just add fuel and your ready to go. The Hound Looks awesome!!
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Thanks. The dash pictures were the first I posted because the directions on the sticky were the thing that finally penetrated my fat head. On Monday, I'll put more pictures up because I have them on my work computer.

JP -just looked in your boat...looks great. I guess what Rob put on today was a white primer or fist finish coat. It looks awesome!
gplume

Post by gplume »

John-

Awesome looking job. You are giving me inspiration to complete my reguage work. Looking forward to your additioanl pix. I was on the path to have my guage panel powder coated black, but now I don't know.

Best Regards
Giff Plume
Giff
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Sorry for the late reply, just got back from vacation out of Blackberry email range. I will try and send you some pictures during the week. JJJ
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

John that dash looks awesome...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan