Harry

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Harry

Post by Carl »

Harry-

Received the Lock and Stitch, thank you.
A picture may be worth a thousand words...but hands on is truly the Ticket.
The process cannot get much simpler then that...love it!
Hopefully I'll never need, but if I do it is a great way to make a repair.
Even better, it is a way to get those people to leave here happy as they will have an answer to repairing cast iron.

I'll get them back to you shortly...just need to show a couple more people first.
Wonder when I will find someone that asks where I have been living as I didn't know about the process.

Thank you,
Carl
Harry Babb

Re: Harry

Post by Harry Babb »

Carl wrote:I'll get them back to you shortly...just need to show a couple more people first.
Carl, I sent those tools to you for you to keep and play with them. They are yours my friend....the only thing that I did not send you is a "Stop Collar" that fits on the "Counter Sink"........I only had one of them......its just a sleeve attached to the "Counter sink" with a set screw.........but just for testing....all you need is a sharp eye.

I hope you visited the Lock N Stitch website to look at all the repairs they made. In particular they replaced an entire plate on the side of a Cummins engine water jacket.

What I want for you to do is find some cast iron plate, about 1/4 or 3/8" thick (no thicher as this is the thickness that the screws are designed to fasten) ..... butt them together, then "Lock N Stitch" the 2 plates together with the screws I sent to you.

Chris and I have ran the Backhoe several hours since doing the engine block repair......no leaks.....holding tight....and making us smile.

hb
hb
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Harry, there is something wrong with you, no one should be smiling when running a backhoe

your fren'

Rocket

(unless of course the alternative is a hand shovel or paying someone else to do it!)
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry,
Thank you. I will give it a try.
I believe they recommend using locks to fasten separate items together,
but your idea would be the best way to get a true feel of the holding power of bare stitches.
I am really curious what it will take to separate the two plates.
Thanks....I'll still send back the tooling when I am done.
Carl
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Carl wrote:I believe they recommend using locks to fasten separate items together
Carl

The "Locks" are recommended when the damage has compromised the "Structural Integrity" of the casting. In the case of my engine the crack was in a water jacket..........we were just repairing a leak and not so much concerned with strength.

Rocket...My friends say the same thing all the time.......waking up in this head everyday is nothing short of a "Life of Adventure"...........the simplest things entertain me......LOL

hb
hb
Dug

Post by Dug »

I don't know guys... a back hoe seems like a hell of a lot of fun to me!!!!

Of course I would likely knock the house down accidentally, but that is always a risk with me.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry,
I understand and have no doubt that they will seal up a crack and hold pressure as used in your application. Genius in its simplicity
Harry Babb wrote: What I want for you to do is find some cast iron plate, about 1/4 or 3/8" thick (no thicher as this is the thickness that the screws are designed to fasten) ..... butt them together, then "Lock N Stitch" the 2 plates together with the screws I sent to you.
hb

Where I am skeptical, how secure will the stitches hold two plates butted together, stitched as you mentioned doing.
I do expect that to be the weak point, but curious just how strong it will be. Using locks I know would strengthened considerably...but without them I'll get an idea how much those lil screws bite into and clamp the Cast Iron together.