Bolts for battery cables

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Bolts for battery cables

Post by Navatech »

OK, I got new battery cables and new batteries. Now, what kind of bolt should I use? The size would be 3/8 or M10. That's not what I'm asking. My question is what material the bolts should be made of...

Stainless (marine preferably) makes sense... But so does copper (better conductor)... And where can I find these?!...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Bolts for battery cables

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nav,

Are you refering to a cross bolt or top bolt that locks the lead cable end to the lead battery post?

If so, it really doesn't matter since it's two clean and matching lead surfaces mated together that carries your current flow. The bolt only locks down the connection. any steel bolt will carry current pretty much equally as long as it's clean and not issolated.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

CaptPatrick wrote:Are you refering to a cross bolt or top bolt that locks the lead cable end to the lead battery post?
Correct...
CaptPatrick wrote:If so, it really doesn't matter since it's two clean and matching lead surfaces mated together that carries your current flow. The bolt only locks down the connection. any steel bolt will carry current pretty much equally as long as it's clean and not issolated.
If I understand you correctly you're saying the current will go from the (lead) post, through the (tinned) copper lug into the (tinned) copper wire and the function of the fastener is simply to hold the lug against the post?!... I guess that makes sense... Seeing as current runs on the surface of the conductor...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Yup...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Pat: I always use stainless to prevent corrosion on the threads if any vapors leak out. Any reason not to? It has worked fine for me for years.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Rawleigh,

I agree, stainless is the way to go. My comment to Nav was that the bolt isn't the current carrier....
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Suggestions for vendors of marine SS bolts, nuts and so forth?!...
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Boltdepot.com serves me well, and they are suited to small or large orders if you have no local supply house you can walk in for,
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Preston Burrows wrote:Boltdepot.com serves me well, and they are suited to small or large orders if you have no local supply house you can walk in for,
I probably have several (this area is allegedly the boating capital of the state, nation and possible the world) but I'd be looking for marine SS (as opposed to "regular" SS) hardware and every place I've been to so far says ("regular") SS...

I'm starting to believe that nobody makes that stuff out of marine SS...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

316 SS bolts from Amazon

Be sure to notice the "Currently Showing 20 of 108 sizes Show All" Click Show All to see larger sizes... They go all the way to 1/2"-13 x 8".
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe