Engine Mounts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Engine Mounts

Post by JohnV8r »

Hey Guys,

Which engine mounts should I use; Barry & Clark or IsoFlex M75-20S?

Thanks in advance.

John
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
JohnV8r

Re: Engine Mounts

Post by JohnV8r »

Sorry, I meant Barry & Clark, not Barry & Gordon. I just edited that.

Is anyone using the IsoFlex engine mounts?

Thanks in advance.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

JohnV8er,
Which ever ones you use be prepared for a price shock, I just ordered 8 for a 240 Yanmar, $242.00 each times 8=$1936.00 for the large cast iron mounts.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Pete,

I was quoted $117 each for the IsoFlex mounts. The Barry & Clark mounts are significantly more.

General Propeller in Bradenton, FL gets high marks on the customer service end. I mentioned to Paul Fox that I had not heard of IsoFlex mounts before. I raised the issue of whether they were a good fit for the Cummins 6BTA. I specifically mentioned that I intended to put a .75" spacer behind the motor mount arm closest to the water pump on the 6BTA so I can get the water pump out without lifting the entire engine off the mounts and wanted to make sure there would not be an issue with the IsoFlex mount doing that since I knew you could with the Barry & Clark mounts. Paul Fox reached out to the IsoFlex corporate office and got this response for me:
We have supplied many M75-20B-BLK for B series Cummins over the years. We actually worked with Cummins on their new Konrad leg B series diesel package and supply direct to Cummins. They use our mounts on this package as it has high demands and they wanted the superior mount. Our mounts are actually dearer to manufacture than the Barry mounts, but by the time they go through a major engine manufacturer, the margins become huge. We have in actual fact replaced many Barry mounts due to premature failure in commercial vessels in particular.

As for the modification to the mounting arm, if it is successful for the Barry mounts on the Bertrams, it will have no different using ours then.

This will be an interesting job, as he is used to the very smooth gas engines and going to an oil burner which have a much higher idle energy signature. We expect 90% isolation at 650rpm idle.

I would be recommending the BLACK (70) duro.

Please ensure when the mounts are fitted that the load on each mount is as close to equal as possible. Otherwise you end up with the old rocking table in a restaurant scenario. This can be achieved by checking each mount “squashes” down the same during the alignment process.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Not sure but on my 270's, during the install, I asked the dealer when he was putting them in if the spacer was needed. He said no.

Maybe Bruce knows.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Tony,

Here is the basis for my belief that a spacer is necessary:

http://www.sbmar.com/articles/dealing_w ... _6bta_5.9/

Thanks,

John
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

John, Also modified the water pump base flange that bolts to the engine. Took a grinder to both and have no problems changing pump or impeller, ask me how I know..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

John: I replaced my Port raw water pump last year.. surly would have been easier using the spaced motor mount.. (I used the seaboard pump) should be good for a few years now
Wayne
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barry-Controls- ... 97&vxp=mtr

Keep checking eBay... They come up rather frequently...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan