Loss of a steward

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PaulJ

Loss of a steward

Post by PaulJ »

I was looking for an obituary for my son-in-law's grandfather who passed away this week to get some of the particulars for the funeral and found out that one of the local stewards had passed away. Amazing how these boats get into our system and are so much a part of how people think about and remember us.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/florid ... &fhid=2844

Lewis F. Symmes

Brandon, FL

Symmes, Lewis F., 83, passed away on February 21, 2014 from complications of CHF and Alzheimer's.

He was born a fourth generation Floridian to Fred and Lillian Symmes, a pioneering Riverview family. Lewis graduated from Brandon High School in 1948 and attended FSU (Go Noles), graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree. There he met his wife Betty Ann. Lewis then began working at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station for the expendable launch vehicle program (ELV) in Quality Control. He was a member of the Satellite Beach UMC and Sun City Center UMC. Lewis was a Mason for over than 60 years. Lewis's lifelong passion was fishing, beginning in the Tampa Bay area as a young man and then on the east coast. "Captain Lew" spent most weekends fishing from his commercial boat that he built, the "Lu Ann", out of Sebastian, Florida. His later love was restoring an early 31 ft. Bertram named the "Lady Ann". Both boats were named after his beloved wife Betty Ann.

Lewis is survived by his son Lew (Teresa) Symmes, granddaughter Alicia (Joey) Lightsey, and a great grandchild LilyAnn, cousins Harriet Wright, and Bill Symmes and many other family members.

A Funeral service will take place on Saturday, March 1, 2014 at 11am at Serenity Meadows Funeral Home. The family will receive guests on Friday, February 28, 2014 from 6:30-8pm. This quiet and loving man will be missed.
Tony Meola

Re: Loss of a steward

Post by Tony Meola »

Amazing they put it in his obit. He must have really loved that boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Re: Loss of a steward

Post by Pete Fallon »

PaulJ,
I met Mr. Symmes over 15 years ago at Sail Fish Marina he had finished the restoration of his 31 and it was a beautiful job, he and his wife were cruising up from the Keys and he had stopped at Singer Island on his way back. If I remember correctly he had 3208's in her. He was true gentleman and a faithful steward of his 31, Rest in Peace Capt. Symmes.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61