B20 Bilge pumps

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ianupton

B20 Bilge pumps

Post by ianupton »

I don't like water in my bilge...

At the same time, I like the idea of an inaccessible bilge pump even less.

I found this:

http://www.whalepumps.com/Marine/produc ... D=Bilge-IC

Which I think will help with both items. Remote intake to remove virtually all water, but actual pump head is remotely mounted.
In additional I will have 1 or 2 Rule 1500 mounted at various heights forward of engine in case this one cannot keep up.

What is best method to mount bilge pump directly to hull bottom? 5200? 1/4" Screws? Some other adhesive?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: B20 Bilge pumps

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ian,

Don't know if it's really the best way, but what I do is to cut a disc, same diameter as bottom of pump, from 1/8" fiberglass plate. Epoxy this down on the centerline of the bilge. Line up your pump base so that two opposing screw holes are over the centerline and drill for your screw size. I only use those two screws... In the images below, I actually embedded two nuts so that I could use machine screws. Overkill...

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Thank You Captain.

That does help with concerns with screws going into the actual hull laminate.

Ian.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Ian,
I am like you and like to keep bilge water to a minmum.
To me the problem with attaching the pump to the boat, presumably under the engine makes it difficult to service or replace.It is also raised up by the thickness of the pad that you put there.
So on my B20 and B25 (Which has a single engine), what I have done is attach pump base to a long strip of aluminum, either with a couple of screws on the centerline or epoxy. Install pump, then slide pump under engine to transom. Figure out a place to attach front end of the aluminum strip that is easy to access. Then bend strip so that pump sits on bottom of boat.
Now if you need to get to pump to clean or replace, undo aluminum strip from front end, and slide the whole thing out and do what you gotta do.
You could also do from the side of engine bay if desired, just make the bends so the aluminum follows the contour of the bilge.
Hope this makes som sense.