Anchor locker drain

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Anchor locker drain

Post by Yannis »

The anchor locker in my 28 drains from the bottom of the compartment, all the way through the hull to the transom drainhole. I think this is silly. Especially now that I want to seal the hole in the bulkhead that connects the engine room to the cabin (I don't know if this bulkhead hole was made by Bertram or by any of the numerous owners before me).
Can I seal the anchor locker's bottom hole and open a side hole so that it drain outside? Problem is that this new hole is maybe too close to the waterline.
Has anybody done that?
Thanx.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Re: Anchor locker drain

Post by Navatech »

A simple drain in that location would be close the water line... The problem is that just as water will flow out of the locker it will flow into the locker when you head into a wave...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Yannis,

Create a floor for your anchor locker on a slope down forward. Fit a 3/4" PVC pipe between the low point and running aft and below the cabin sole through the cockpit/cabin bulkhead. This will drain any water directly into the aft bilge. I've done this several times. Simple and effective...

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Captain.

Next time I go down to the boat I will check if there is access to the area below the bottom of the anchor locker through the v-berth's front hatch.
The bottom of the locker is already leaning forward and the hole is at its lowest point alright.

The galley sink drain tubing runs under the cabin's port "step", goes aft, meets the head sink drain and continues aft into the engine room where it ends.
I wander if I could connect the anchor drain into this system instead of running it on the floor under the sole. I suspect there exists the necessary height differential between the anchor locker and the galley drain tube to achieve this.

PS: Navatech, in my original idea I thought I could protect the outside of the new anchor drain hole with that little SS "cup" on the outside, so that there be some protection against the waves.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I wander if I could connect the anchor drain into this system instead of running it on the floor under the sole.
Sure, as long as there's no up hill runs...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Capt.