Charger/Inverters

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jeffery pagano

Charger/Inverters

Post by jeffery pagano »

It is apparent from the board that many of you recommend the use of the Xantrex XC3012, which is a 30 amp 12V charger. I was wondering as to the utility of using the Xantrex inverter/charger combination instead, in light of all the traveling my children and I do during August in the NE. We use dockside power when available to power my laptop computer/printer, frige and playstation 2. I would like to get more electrical flexibility (mooring and offshore use of the computer so my office can't complain), without the need to perform the major surgery necessary for installing a genset. Currently, my 18 year old charger fits neatly under port drawer under the cabin bench seat against the interior bulkhead.
Do any of you have recommendations concerning inverters--waste of time/money or they work etc; and whether it makes sense to combine the two Charger/Inverter which will fit under the seat etc or just stick with the Xantrex charger and forget and inverter.
we appreciate your comments.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Most charger/inverter combinations are only a 1 bank charger which means they are only designed to charge the the batteries they take their load from.

They need plenty of free air space and venting to keep cool.

If you have multiple banks of batteries then you will need two chargers.

Without a genset on board to lite the charger off, you'll need a high output altenator to recoup the battery power. This could take quite a run time of the engine to accomplish depending on the discharge.

Lap tops and game consoles require an inverter with a very clean sine wave and are more money. Add up your power requirements and check for size needed.

Depending on your load requirements and what size and type of batteries you have now, you may end up having to replace them also.

I would get a Honda ESU2000 suitcase gen set for the back deck.
jeffery pagano

Charger/Inverters

Post by jeffery pagano »

Thank you.
It looks like I will keep it simple, charger only.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Jeff- I have the Xantrex 40 amp which I mounted on the port wall between the dinette seats under the table. I did that after originally mounting it in the engine compartment and had the screws where all the wires are connected all rust out. The company stood by it's product and sent me a new one. In it's new position it has stayed brand new for four years now. Given the size and vintage of your engines, I'm pretty sure you have high output alternators and big batteries. I'm fairly sure the Xantrex 30 is rated to be able to handle 2 banks of batteries. I put in a 40 because I have 3 banks. Walter
jeffery pagano

Charger/Inverters

Post by jeffery pagano »

Bruce and Walter,
Thank you for your comments. I am running 300HP 6BTAs with 2 banks of batteries. Perhaps, for the money difference and the possibility of increasing capacity to three banks, I will purchase the 40 instead of the 30.
How are you feeling?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

jeff
replaced my xantex 20 a few years ago, turn out the old one needed a new resister, replaced and bench tested good, its yours if you want it, just throw capt pat a small donation. pick up only. iam in freeport
jeffery pagano

Charger/Inverter

Post by jeffery pagano »

Charlie,
In the interim (after I responded to Walter), I immediately ordered and paid for another charger--before I read your generous solution. Nevertheless, I will make a contribution to the site. Perhaps you/we could find another person who has the same need and you can contribute the charger to him/her. Otherwise, I can pick up the charger and find a good home for it.
I only wish I hadn't ordered another charger without checking out the Board. Your thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated.