flo=scans

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thereheis

flo=scans

Post by thereheis »

who has the best price on some diesel flo-scans?and where can i find some??there is alot for gas but cannot find-em for diesel????

phil
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Flowscan sells at 35% off direct from the factory.
800-522-3610, press 1 then press 1 for sales. Ray or Joe
scot

Post by scot »

I have the Floscan on my current gas boat and will be installing one on the diesel boat I'm building...I have been looking around a little and notice something very distrubing. Everytime I see an add for a diesel Floscan product it says "call for pricing"....this is not a good feeling.

What volume of dollars are the diesel units? It must be pretty ugly if they won't publish prices in catalogs!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Here's the Floscan website...........they have pricing listed according to the type of unit and engine.

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/recreationalmarine.php
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thats because there are so many different model, engine make combinations compared to gas it would take up too much room in a catalog.

Their web site has a selection menu that will give you the model and price.

IE; I plugged in the series 9000 gps interface for twin Cummins 6BTA 270hp.

Model is:980M-3BB-2K, lists for 4080.00, sells for 2652.00

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/recreationalmarine.php

Most everyone meets the 35% off that Floscan sells direct for.

Otherwise ordering direct from the factory is the best way cause nobody stocks the diesel units except the factory.

NOTE*
Like most things, they don't require an advanced degree in quantum physics to install, but you do need to read and follow the instructions to have them work properly. Use only sheilded wire and no teflon tape on the fittings.

Fittings and connecting hoses along with the operation switches are not included.

On a twin install you'll get two meter heads, 4 sensors(most diesels require 2, but not all) sensor brackets, instructions and small package of connections, heat shrink and fuse holders.

99.9% of all the service calls I get are installation related errors that Flowscan will not cover under warrantee.

One last note.

Air bubbles are the death march for floscan accuracy. Any air bubbles across the sensor wheel makes them skip and will throw the readings way off.

70% of all installations I've done, over 400 units have had air leaks in the primary inlets of the fuel systems. While not enough to cause performance problems for engines, any air is a no no for floscan.

So look at your fuel bowls while running cruise underway and if you see air bubbles in the bowl, fix the problem first before installing or you will never get them calibrated correctly.

Most were easy to fix as they were filter gaskets, fuel valve packing or they needed soft copper cone washers in flare fittings.

And just because they leak air doesn't mean they will leak fuel so looking for fuel leaks won't help.
scot

Post by scot »

Thanks guys...$2,600 bucks is a FAR cry from the $400 bucks for the gasser versions. O the pain. I may use tank gauges after all, but the Floscans do spoil you.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you know any boat builders, OEM pricing is amazingly cheap. Even less that what they sell to West Marine, etc. for.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Peter

Post by Peter »

File this under the heading of a dumb question...but it isn't clear to me if the pricing actually includes the correct sensors for the given application. I assume that it does but it doesn't expressly say that anywhere that I can see. Can someone set me straight on this?

So for your money you get the display head(s), the sensor(s), some wiring, but fittings and required switchs are not included? Is that correct?

Peter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Each kit comes with:

Meter head, meter head harnass(about 1' long), flow sensor(s), fuse holder, heatshrink, electrical butt connectors(uninsulated) and mounting brackets.

You'll need wire, fittings, connecting hoses, operation switches, fastners.

50% off list is the highest percentage that Floscan discounts. That is distributor discount.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Bruce,

I heard through the grape vine that the new Styre engines come with a touch gauge package that enables you to aquire Flo Scan type info with a press of a finger. Is it true? What's Styre's line up for 2007? Anything new out there?

Thanks
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich