Helm Chairs

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Helm Chairs

Post by John F. »

One of my winter/spring projects is redoing the helm. I want to get 2 helm chairs like Pete P. and Bob Lico. I'd like one chair to be centered behind the wheel, and the other to be to port. I measure my helm area as about 70" across on the outside, and about 63" across on the inside. Even going outside to outside, I can't see how I can center a 24" wide helm chair. I'd like to keep the armrests. Anybody mount the chairs this way and have the helm chair a little off-center (it'd be an inch or so). Can you even tell? I saw Bob Lico's set-up at Greenport and liked it a lot. I have a hard time visualizing this stuff.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Helm Chairs

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have two chairs, one to port. They sit on the piano hinged lid of a starboard box that contains a survival suit, two commercial life jackets, three inflatable life jackets with integral safety harnesses, a ditch bag, and a stainless 9mm Walther PPK that has 'Mike gets the survival suit' engraved on the barrel.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John are you opposed to using a single armrest in the middle of the two chairs?

You can make it work if you allow the outer armrest to overhang the side wall which the curve is pretty low at that point. Search for " the Lico seating system" thread I think I laid out the measurements.

Another idea is to center a double wide with fold up arm rests.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

John think of the seating in a movie theater. One armrest between two full size chairs with the captain chair exactly centered on centerline of console/steering wheel. Mike, stainless PPK --------nice! Incidentally try actually sitting in four man raft unless I was at sea with faith hill and Katherine heigel you really need a 6 man life raft for four people normal canyon crew for 31' Bertram.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bob lico wrote:Incidentally try actually sitting in four man raft unless I was at sea with faith hill and Katherine heigel you really need a 6 man life raft for four people normal canyon crew for 31' Bertram.
That's actually by design… Imagine having to take to the raft in cold weather circumstances… The tight confines will help to conserve body heat…
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

The chairs are "Montauk" series by Todd. Normal width of full chair is 24" .two would e 48" about 4" to much by removing arm from outboard chair two push together are 44" perfect fit to allow walk thru like o.e.m. Bertram FBC.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John,

Bobs seats are no longer made. I went with a pair of garelick which are also no longer made but with similar dimensions. I still wish I went with the ones that had a flip up bolster.

I also added the slide hardware so the captains seat is all the way forward and the passenger is back further allowing a little more leg room.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks. Just what I wanted to know.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Well Pete now that charlie move out of state you are my bass mentor for that I will get you any chair you want from Todd out of production or current.my chairs flip forward by pulling pin from underneath and flip forward on hinge of five stage shock absorbers setup.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

I got these from Fore & Aft Marine
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

I should have mentioned in above post that the chairs can be rotated in order to watch baits, etc from the bridge. Helm chair has armrests, companion chair does not. Both have cushions.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

ljmauricio wrote:Image
I got these from Fore & Aft Marine
Like the way that bridge looks, super clean and some of the neat original features- like the curved and swept "windshield". Very nice.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Real clean I like the fact that companion seat can rotate 180 degrees to watch trolling spread especially with individuals (fares) that play cards in the cabin.expecting to be waited on hand and foot.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

mike ohlstein wrote:I have two chairs, one to port. They sit on the piano hinged lid of a starboard box that contains a survival suit, two commercial life jackets, three inflatable life jackets with integral safety harnesses, a ditch bag, and a stainless 9mm Walther PPK that has 'Mike gets the survival suit' engraved on the barrel.
I had a single Release Marine helm chair -- and a sign that said "If your name isn't Tom, get off my bridge." The 9mm Glock (sorry Mike but I'm sticking with polymer and not SS), was in the ditch bag -- it wasn't engraved, but it functioned the same as your Walther.

Tom
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Tom some of us fall asleep at the wheel and need conversation to stay alert especially when my son is half my age with perfect eyesight.the boat will his someday anyhow ,another person with his eyes on the bridge watching the water for floating debris is a very good thing. The boat travels at a higher rate of speed then normal you don't have a hell a lot of time to react and added to the fact you have been at the wheel for hours offshore.to sum it up I find it essential to have a able body seaman on the bridge with me.incidently the opening under the bench was made for the ditch bag to fit with no hold downs just grap straps ans exit.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

bob lico wrote:Well Pete now that charlie move out of state you are my bass mentor for that I will get you any chair you want from Todd out of production or current.my chairs flip forward by pulling pin from underneath and flip forward on hinge of five stage shock absorbers setup.
I'm flattered Bob but for both our sake lets hope Charlie moves back!

I have the shock system to. I added the slides to compensate the base is mounted where it would be optimal when I add the helm pod. The slide compensates for that.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

John, just saw this on another board. Maybe something for you?

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-forum ... stals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John F.

Post by John F. »

Navatech-

Thanks for the link.

John