Yanmar 4LH

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Yanmar 4LH

Post by Bruce »

Just a reminder to those who may be considering a repower using these engines.

As I have posted before, they did not meet 07 emissions. So they are going away when current stock is depleted.

Distributors and dealers will still be able to sell what has been manufactured. When they are gone, thats it.

Even if your not ready to do the job just yet, get the engines and set them aside. If you decide not to use them, they should be real easy to get rid of and most likely even make a profit on.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Hey Bruce,

Any idea of what my lh dte 170's and the Yanmar 2 to 1 gears with 405 hrs ar worth? What about in the near future? I got a long way to go putting Reel Cowboy back together and was trying to justify re-powering. 20-21 knt cruise isn't screaming by any means, but it's about all we could handle on most days fishing out of Texas. Maybe coming back in we could have used a little more speed, but I remember a lot of days heading out at 17-18 knts.

Thanks, Bruce.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

John, I sold my pair of 170's back in October for $16,500.00 with the Hurth 630a gears (1993's with 1900 hours). To sweeten the deal, I included everything I couldn't use for the new 240 Yanmars. I posted them on boatdiesel.com and got eight serious inquiries, all from gas powered B28 and B31 owners. Second guy that flew in bought them and two others were waiting to come see them pending the sale. The buyer came from New Jersey to Louisiana to get them. From what everyone that called said, not many used 4LH's of any hp range out there for sale. I bought one of the last pairs of 240's in my area in September and like Bruce said, I stored them until the repower in December. Didn't pull out the 170's until they were spoken for so they could be sea trialed. I asked for a $5,000.00 deposit to make sure they were sold before I took them out. If they look good and run good, they will sell fast. Good luck.

Eddy G.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Word of caution....

If possible, don't sell your existing engines before you find and secure replacement engines.

Br,

Patrick
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Eddy G is right on the money with price. Less hours may net a few thousand more.
And of course when they are all gone, maybe more.

Overall condition and apperance is important.

If you couldn't use the extra speed most times, why bother?

But if you are serious, check with your local Yanmar people now.

If you can't find them call me and I'll try. Delivery to Texas and no sales tax.

Price will go up as they dwindle.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Interesting thread. I had the same thought, and at the AC Show asked one of the vendors there about the 240s. He said he had 10 or 12 available, but his price w/gears was only $1500 less than what he wanted for the 315 6s (sorry, I forget the Yanmar model #s). My take was that the 4s weren't that good a deal because of the dwindling numbers and rising prices, and that I'd keep waiting knowing that I could get the 6s for a little more...plus my 454s keep runnin' and runnin'.

John F.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Not a hugh difference in price and that will narrow as they dwindle.

But the savings in not having to upgrade the running gear to 1-1/2 for the 315 can be quite a bit.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Eddy,Patridck,Bruce,

Duly noted,guys. I know those 170's are a nice combo in the B 28. Eddy, if you hear about someone needing a pair, please send them my way. They[ are stored at a local dealer in Texas City. Bruce, you're right about why would I want to replace them if I really don't need any more speed, but I guess it's foolish on my part wanting to keep up with the Jones. Fools and their money are easily parted..I'm living proof of that!

Thanks for the help, John 713-906-4941.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

John: There was a guy in Houston that was anxious to come see my engines and was disappointed that I sold them before he could get here. I think I kept his name in my repower booklet. I'll e-mail it to you directly. Having had 170's, I know what you mean about spending all that $$$$ to get speed you may not often use. I agonized over the desision for three years before I felt a bit pressured due to the unavailabilty after 2006. Now that it's done and the $$$$ is spent, it feels good knowing everything is new from the front pulleys to the prop nuts. As for performance, the boat handles better with a little more speed. I was cruising at 18-19 knots at 2900 rpm and kept the tabs down a bit to lessen the bow rise. Now I like to cruise at 23 knots at 2700 rpm, tabs up and very little bow rise. 2900 rpm gets about 25 knots. I crossed Lake Ponchartrain a few weeks ago and the wind was blowing 15-20 knots about 45 degrees from a dead on head sea. The boat rode smoother with much less spray and steered straighter at 21-22 knots than at 18 knots which suprised me. In my opinion, if you plan on keeping the boat a while and you can afford the $$$$, go for it and pass on those great 170's to a gas Bertram owner so they can enjoy the benefits of diesel power.

Eddy G.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Eddy,

If you don't mind, Eddy, would you please post the buyer info on this thread? The e mail would go to my wife's adress and would probably get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks for everything.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

John: The guy's name is Chris Robson chris@bhbag.com 713-392-9908. He has a 1973 B28. Another guy in New Jersey was Carl Piccolo carl.piccolo@att.net 732-241-3389. Ted Radtke srqradtkes@msn.com from Bradington, Florida flew over for seatrial, but he was unable to commit before I sold them. These guys showed the most interest. Good luck. By the way, I saw a pair of 4LHA-STE 230 hp Yanmars on boatdiesel.com a few weeks ago. Probably gone by now, but if you are interested in used engines, I'd check it out.

Have a good weekend and I hope everybody gets a chance to tinker with their Bertrams.

Eddy G.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Eddy,

Thanks again for all the great info. Local dealer has a pair of Cummins 330 bta's that are new but are being sold as factory rebuilds. Also, he's trying to sell a pair of Styers as a promo deal. Alot to consider. Bob and JP with the 330's talking about 38 knts kind of has my blood pumping.

Have a good weekend and thanks again.
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

John,
I have the Sarita in Port A. I have her up for sale now but am thinking of a repower, I would love to keep her but $60k is out of my range, just like BoomVang. I have 454s in her and they run great but is the reason I am selling her. What size shafts do you have? If you are going to sell keep my # too. 713-582-4563

Bruce,
What do you think ballpark cost to do the repower right w/ this power?

Rob C
"sometimes you go 8 sometimes you hit dirt"

Rob C
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

JP's only hoping to see 36kts. Maybe the blood only simmers.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. Mike Holmes

Engines

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

John, if you aren't going to deal with Bruce, Lee Holt in Angleton has a pair of 245 hp 24 valves marinized Cummins truck engines for sale, just put together, never in a boat. They are really slick conversions, everything was done right.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Rob, I'll give you a buzz tonight. JP, 36 knts is still screaming in my book. What's your take on going with the 330's? Would you do it over again? Mike, I'm not quite sure about those conversions yet. I need to go for a ride in Black Sheep once you get through working on her. Every time we drive by, the engine boxes are up...not a good sign. Just kidding, Mike, I know it's the generator that keeps acting up. I saw you off shore last year at my secret snapper hole, so I know she'll run. Did you swipe those numbers off my Garman?
Davidr0007

Price

Post by Davidr0007 »

Bruce what is the price for the 4's
DavidR
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

John,
The 330's offer some advantages, they are lower in height and are better on fuel (comparing 2400 rpm with a 330 vs the same in a 270) They have more torque so you can swing a little bigger wheel which allows you to go faster per given rpm vs. the 270 (this saves more fuel)
The downside is you have the intercooler and aftercooler that have to be maintained, both are easily accessed even in a B31. But do require new o-rings and a cleaning once a year to be safe.
You'll be swinging bigger wheels but even the 270 boats that are wheeled right troll to fast and require valves to get down below 3.0kts, with the 330's you won't make any friends in the lagoons (we idle around 6kts with 2 3.5 kts with 1)
Its only 31 feet long and the odds of running full cruise all the time are slim but its nice to use the juice when the oceans nice.

They came with the boat when we found it, and so far so good. Time will tell.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. Mike Holmes

Black Sheep

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

John, given you have already called and clarified your remarks, this is the first time I've had a problem with the genset - and it was a wire pulled loose that I stepped on. The engines have been a challenge, because I tried to reinvent the wheel, without knowing much about the original wheel. It has been fun and educational, however. I honestly think they are ready to go and run with anybody now, and promise to demonstrate that soon. Got to get those chairs refinished, and a few little things done. We'll run out in air conditioned comfort, and catch some fish. Maybe Timmy can come down and go with us? I talked to him tonight, and he invited me up north, but it's too damn cold up there now.

Honestly, Lee Holt does a helluva fine job on the truck conversions. Wish he'd done mine. Like Bruce says, it ain't rocket science.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."