3 bucks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Charlie J

3 bucks

Post by Charlie J »

never heard of 3 getting involed
3 BUCKS FIGHT TO THE DEATH! Three bucks with antlers locked found in an Ohio stream. Don't miss this. http://gothunts.com/ohio-bucks-locked-togethe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Navatech

Re: 3 bucks

Post by Navatech »

Why is it assumed that all three got entangled at the same time?!… Aren't there other possible scenarios?!…
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

two got locked up, don't know why the third got into it
1968 hull # 316 - 757
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Navatech wrote:Why is it assumed that all three got entangled at the same time?!… Aren't there other possible scenarios?!…
Because thats what happens in nature. Do you think the eleven pointer came over to help the younger seven and eight, maybe had a cell phone and was calling 911 when he tripped and became interlocked with the other deer.

The horn lock happens from time to time with white tails during the rut, fighting is part of establishing a pecking order for breeding rights. There have been instances where one deer has been killed and the eventually rips the others head off and wears it like a hat until the antlers shed. Other instances where hunters have unlocked antlers of deer that were near death from starvation. And of course other finds where the both animals perished.

This was just a rare case where at one point three animals were fighting and all got locked, because it happened in a creek bottom would be the most likely reason all three died. Kind of a shame, they lost two nice shooters and a young deer with what looked like good genetics.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

JP Dalik wrote:Do you think the eleven pointer came over to help the younger seven and eight, maybe had a cell phone and was calling 911 when he tripped and became interlocked with the other deer.
Nope… AFAIK animals don't do altruism… However, that doesn't mean the 3rd was necessarily involved in the fight… Possibly he got tangled at a later time… Curiosity is something that animals do… Possibly he died and got entangled after his death…
JP Dalik wrote:The horn lock happens from time to time with white tails during the rut, fighting is part of establishing a pecking order for breeding rights. There have been instances where one deer has been killed and the eventually rips the others head off and wears it like a hat until the antlers shed. Other instances where hunters have unlocked antlers of deer that were near death from starvation. And of course other finds where the both animals perished.
While it certainly does happen it's not that common… And no 3 bucks have been observed fighting at the same time… While possible that would indicate it's very rare… Especially in this case where one of the bucks was too young to normally engage in this behavior… The statistical chances of one relatively uncommon and a very rare occurrence coinciding are astronomical…
JP Dalik wrote:This was just a rare case where at one point three animals were fighting
Except that this scenario is being based on circumstantial evidence at best… I agree that it's a "natural" conclusion but I fail to see how we can know for sure and other scenarios seem, at least to me, possible...
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Name some more cases please you've obviously spent years in the woods hunting and observing the North American whitetail. And based on the articles employment of DNR experts to verify the find you are still a doubting Thomas.

I can assure you that the only time I have seen a whitetail come up curiously to another dead whitetail is in the case of a doe with young being shot or in the case of a doe in estrus being shot and the trailing buck having a look. Deer tend to stay away from dead or dying deer.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

two get locked up all the time, its just nature as to why the third decided to join in on the fun.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

The statistical chances of one relatively uncommon and a very rare occurrence coinciding are astronomical
And you think that nature gives a rat turd about statistics? And what about these three?

one of these three bucks survived this gruesome fight. The deer were found on a ranch locked together. The bucks were 8, 9, and 11 pointers.

And this is nature being nature, not gang wars and no need for alternate scenarios.

I do hear that the government is planning, (at the urging of PITA), to implement a deer safety plan to keep these ocurances from happening again. All male deer will be required by law to wear protective head gear and compliance will be monitored by Federal Wildlife Enforcement Officers.

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Three dandy bucks indeed, I have heard of a buck dragging a dead body of the loser in such a battle. During the rut or breeding season these bucks aren't right in the head, super territorial. I have a deer target in the backyard and without fail each year it's beaten up and pieces knocked over. Great link thanks for sharing. BH.
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

This morning my dog alerted as soon as I took him outside (545am so it was dark out) -- he immediately went from morning dump and pee mode to sniff and seek mode--what did I spot in my driveway in the fresh slush? Hoof prints -- not unusal as I see deer periodically -- but these very HUGE -- from front to back they were at least 6" -- I'm not a hunter (mostly because I don't have time nor opportunity) -- so I ask my hunting brothers on here -- is that a big deer? Normally the spacing of the hoofprints I see is no bigger that 3-4" and all I've ever seen are does. My brother in law lives about a mile from me (and there are woods between us, and he swore he saw a buck the other morning around the same time.

So, am I crazy or was it a buck?

Tom
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I don't hunt, but it sounds like a horse !! :-D
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Tom, I have spent a few hours in the woods chasing white tails, you can tell a big buck by the spread on the front hoof a big animal will splay the hoof apart carrying the weight, you will also see dew claw marks right behind the hoof print that is a BIG animal. If the animal leaves you a clump of sh#t it's a buck! does leave the grape piles. Knocked a few over this season already we get to hunt until the 31st of December. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Thanks Bob -- my lab was definitely perplexed by the new scent to him.