Additional Steering

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

matt ciarpella

Additional Steering

Post by matt ciarpella »

Happy Thanksgiving All.
If any of you gentlemen can entertain the steering system I am trying to achieve, I would be very "Thankful".
In Baltimore nearly all the tug boats and a good amount of Chesapeake work boats use a "toggle" steering using a solenoid directional control valve on a hydrolic system pressurized by a pump similar to a steering pump. With that Idea, I am would like to incorporate that type of steering in the cockpit and on a tower for light steering at trolling speed, But i want to tie into original steering helm system. I need to be off the bridge at times but still need to steer the boat.
An autopilot directional pump is what I need but I am not interested in 2k for remote control autopilot.
I can get the pump from Raymarine for about 500 but can I wire my own push button or toggle switches to that unit? That's the question.

I am sure a return line is required on each loop from the pump so as to not push or pull fluid from the helm loop. With that, another option I have is to purchase through Motion Industries a dc power unit which will do the same thing using pressure regulators but requires a reservoir tank for the pump to draw from. They only seem to have the return lines go to the reservoir tank and not directly to the manifold. Has this been done already, will what I'm trying to do even work? The next question.

And lastly, in trying to stick to my shoe string budget am I not seeing the forest because of the tree?

All the best, Matt
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Additional Steering

Post by Bruce »

Your best way to go about this would be to forget the whole auto pilot system and buy the pump assembly. Used ones can be had.

Tie that into to your current hydraulic steering system back at the ram or with in 10' and use relays to control flow direction by reversing the polarity of the dc motor just like an auto pilot does. This way you only have to run wire to your required steering stations and use a joystick switch or push buttons. With the relays you don't need high current switches and have a much bigger choice of types and designs.

Just pay attention to current draw and match relays and wire to that. Switches will need to carry relay coil current ratings.
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Bruce, by pump assembly do you mean one from an auto pilot system or some other type? Thanks for your help, you know exactly what Im after.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Yes one from a typcal auto pilot system non nema 2000 compliant.

matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Sweet. I had the feeling I was making it more complicated than it needed to be. Thanks again
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Don't forget to install valves to the lines of your pump so in case of a leak, it can be shut off from the rest of the system, pulled out and serviced. Also don't forget you'll need to bleed the system once the pump is installed.
Carl

Post by Carl »

You could also tee off the lines and add another helm pump. If Hynautic I have an extra for a donation if it works and suites your needs, and Sea Star type helms are pretty inexpensive and readily available.

No need for electric...
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Thanks Carl, but what im trying to do in the cockpit is to keep the unit as small as possible. a wheel would be too big. Just a joystick and throttle/gear control.
My helm pump is pretty old and leaks a bit. I may still be able to take you up on your offer. Can you post a pic or let me know what model you have. I have an old teleflex with just 2 ports, it is the reservoir.
Matt
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

matt,
If it doesn't work out with Carl, those helm seal kits are cheap and they are easy to do.
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

I redid the upper and lower seals this past spring but it appears that the post for the wheel has some grooves worn in it at the o ring .. I guess years of dirt and oil mix caused this. The pump appears to be pretty old. I thought I had it licked.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If it doesn't work out with Carl you may be able to fix that shaft with a Speedi-Sleeve depending on the shaft size and clearances between the seal and the shaft.

http://www.skf.com/group/products/seals ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31