Installing a shower on B28

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Installing a shower on B28

Post by Yannis »

Hi all,
My 1973 B28 has no shower drain. Whats more, I think that I have no access underneath the WC sole; either from the kitchen cabinet or through the cabin sole hatch.
How do I go about it? Can I drill a hole on the WC floor "a la blind" ? Afterwards and once under the WC sole, should I cut another hole through what looks like a stringer onto the compartment outside where the shower pump and gray water tank will be located? Has anybody done this? Thank you.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Installing a shower on B28

Post by CaptPatrick »

Yannis,

Yes, pretty much as you've outlined...

Since you won't have access to the underside of the sole, you'll have to screw the flange of the drain down. And, unless your environmental laws are an issue, you can pump gray water directly overboard.

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Yannis and Capt. Pat.
This is exactly how my shower is setup on my B28. I pump overboard... no issues. For reference, I have installed an Eemax instant electric marine hot water heater. Good enough to raise the water temp 15-18 deg F and here in FL that's enough to take the chill off the water for the fairer sex. I enjoy the deck shower.

Paul J
1973 B28 - PALADIN
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Captain Patrick and Paul,

I just wanted to make sure that drilling a hole through that stringer won't affect the boat rigidity. And that there is nothing under that sole which I might damage by drilling through.
What tube diameter should I use for the drain disposal to minimize clogging with hair and soap goo ? Can I put two drain holes - forward starboard and aft port (connected with a "T" under the sole) so that I can make sure that no matter how the boat floats I will have a dry floor ? I think I've read this in another thread but don't seem to be able to locate it.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Yannis,
My drain hole is centered in the sole space between the head, cabinets, forward bulkhead and door-bulkhead of the "head" room. I don''t think there is any way to get into the area under the sole so I don't know how you would be able to make the plumbing connections under the sole like your discussing (unless your drain hole was big enough to get your hand/arm in). One drain was enough for me. You should install a marine/rv shower head so you only use water when needed...
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... 7AodsEgArg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This will keep the water flow down and you should be able to drain sufficiently with one hole. Also, I made "custom" shower curtains with snaps that snap on the ceiling to keep water off the cabinet area. You wont want to get water inside the upper or lower cabinets in the head.

I also installed a deck shower in the panel under the bridge ladder. This is real handy after a swim... wife really likes it.

Paul J
1973 B28 - PALADIN
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Paul,

Thank you for your input.
The real estate of my head is pretty much the same as in all 28's. There is a wall panel, however, above the sink surface and under the side window, that covers what "would be" storage cabinets. I don't mind it for the moment as there is very little I need to store in the head.
I'm planning to minimize the sink surface to approx. half (if not less) of what it is today and move the head up onto the step aft of the sink. This would give me much more space in the room to move around when showering. As for the water protection of the cabinet under the sink I have installed a "skirt" under the sink that should be adequate.

The water tank which today is a 100 lt plastic one, just outside the head, is clearly not sufficient. Anyway that area will be used for the sump and other related tubing. I will move the fresh water tanks ( I was thinking of two 150 lt bladders to either side of the diesel tank, only I don't know if their connections will last in time and what happens when you fill them up to the point that they expand in height to make the deck floor explode and the deck screws found embedded on the moon). One thing I am sure tho is that you never get bored in a Bertram ...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I'm planning to minimize the sink surface to approx. half (if not less)
Never could figure the logic of having 2 sinks in a 31- boat... Last one I did, I eliminated the head sink altogether, leaving only 1 sink in the galley area.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The point is, how cozy you want your boat to be!
I know that you, Captain Patrick, and some of us could and would brush their teeth in a bucket of sea water if need be, however, some others would prefer a more "feel like home" bathroom. You're right, in a 28 footer 2 sinks is perhaps too much. The head sink however, if you reduce it to its minimum, it's not such a nuisance - albeit you have to provide for tubing, draining etc. that for us may seem unnecessary. Like I say, if there were ONE country that would be the best in the world, everybody would live there.

PS: When you use the boat in a fashion other than for fishing, it is easy to see why one sink may be not enough. Try to wash your hands or rinse your face when there are unwashed pans in the kitchen sink, splashing back that cooking oil !