Trolling Valves

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Keith Poe

Trolling Valves

Post by Keith Poe »

I found and read this.

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My 4BTA3.9, 250-M is mechanicall and I have the ZF 220 so I guess im interested in knowing if anyone can tell me what the ZF mechanical trolling valves cost and if anyone can give me a general description etc.

Thanks.

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Keith Poe

Re: Trolling Valves

Post by Keith Poe »

OK I found this http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/index.cfm? ... d_ID=32029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Any 411 anyone can offer would be appreciated and also the vibration I have at idle what usually causes this what can I do etc.?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

does the vibration come from engine area at idle and clear up at 1000rpm?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

yes or slightly higher
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Keith I have to go back about eight years ago. We were a big volume Luhr's dealer and they made a real sharp looking 28'' model.we sold a slew of them and in the boat salesmen book there was a red marker that fell in the middle of his personal notes and boat cost etc. Do not allow prospective buyer to stand in cockpit between engine when starting up for sea trial!!. I am the pilot so I give the salesman a nod and he move buyer to cabin. I imediately would bring those 4 cylinder Yanmars to 1500 rpm to idle out the river.at idle the boat was shaking to pieces ,screws falling out you know the story. The moral of story 4 cylinder diesels are odd fire and run rough as hell compare to 6 cylinder engines you just have to live with it .just above idle it is a lot better .sorry Keith I just did not want to lie to make you feel like there was a easy answer.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Keith I have been told the same, those lil four bangers don't like to idle. I have trolling valves on my zfs and don't even use them, after green port Bob Lico convinced me you may never need them, I run with one engine in gear and do the same as both gears slipped, with no harmful effects. I could slip one in gear to really slow things down, but haven't had to yet, still caught bass, got Capt Pats big rudders makes it easier to steer on one engine. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Great news about the vibration that is what I was told but wanted to hear it from you guys glad I do not have to do anything.

Good news is she loves to be run I take her all over the RPM range above idle and have been surprised at the economy.

Love it when she is on top gliding like flying.

Bob any time you want to part with your trolling valves I could use some I have a lot of species I have to target way below 4.5 in gear.

I have not had a chance to get the fuel gage working is there any chance she could be getting 2 miles per gallon ?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Keith I get 2mpg with mine at slightly under cruise speed (30). I also have a pair of trolling valves brand new ,installed and used once .i sure if I could play with a great white it would give me the incentive to remove and bring to California . The biggest is the custom brackets that hold the 33c cables that go to the bridge. A zillion hours of labor.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Thanks Bob

Heard lots of guys say I was only going to get 1.5 but have been continually surprised at the economy I only used 120 gallons in 14 days shooting the last show for 14 days ran at least 20 miles a day and 50 a day at the most and did a lot of idling.

I'm going to launch on Friday keep it in for the next few days chase whites on Friday then head off shore.