code reader

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scooter28

code reader

Post by scooter28 »

Guys i'm looking for a code reader to hook up to my marine power 350 efi's. Its the mercruiser gm style computer just wondering if anyone knows of a place to buy one. thanks
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Scooter28,

I use Techmate From Rinda Technologies on my twin Merc Horizons. They have the MEFI 3 ECM.

Their website is http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

thanks how do you like it i'm not quite sure i want to spend 400 bucks on the scanner i may just go with the 40 some dollar code reader. unless you think thats a mistake. haha i believe its the style that just blinks a series of lights.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

scooter28,
A couple of things.

If you have the service manual where you can translate those flashing led's into faults and then be able to diagnose those faults, most of the time multiple faults, into repairs your golden.

The scanner will allow you to do injector tests and will display the actual code number and description and data the computer sees including fuel burn.

Both will allow you to put the engine in service mode to set base ignition timing.

Now for part 2.
90% of all the gas repairs I do on these engines are still related to the basics; fuel, air, water, battery and corrosion. Something that the computer is useless for.

Had a Merc in the shop that wouldn't start. Showed a bad crank sensor, switched out with a known good one and no go. It turned out to be a harnass issue.

You could go thru a bunch of expenses replacing sensors when most of the time they are fine and the faults are generated by other things.

Most of these components are GM ignition parts that have been in use for 20 years and are very reliable.

Go slowly with your troubleshooting. Most sensors can be measured with a good quality vom meter to double check.