Re: RED SOX

Post by Stephan »

Oh my Gawd! Freakin Sweet!
S
Possunt quia posse videntur
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Sounds like 2 guys sitting on the wall at Reveaah Beach!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

IRGUY,
Sitting on the sea wall at Reveaah Beach eating a Kelly's Big Beef and drinking a Bud, watching the moon rise, Boston Light in the background and the bimbo's from Easta Boston walking around trying to keep their make up from melting off their faces and their boobs from sagging to their knees. Red Sox in 5 games I hope, I don't think I can stand listening to Tim Mc Carver & Joe Buck for 7 games, where is Curt Goudy when you need him. Hopefully they will have Dennis Eckersley for some local knowledge, Remdog not coming back until next spring. Going to be in the 40's Wednesday night. Colder than a witches tit.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pete,
Turn down the TV volume and put Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on. It always makes sporting events go easier.

Surf's up.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Pete-
That's a pretty vivid image you paint.
I'm with you on McCarver - he's way past his prime. And Joe Buck is Mr. St. Louis for the second generation with local restaurants, so don't expect much from him. Unfortunately, Gowdy is, uh, not available and Curt Jr. is a New Yawker now covering the Jets of all things! http://web.sny.tv/about/index.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Eckersley adds great color to the game, FOX would do well to add him in liberally.
If it gets too bad (like when McCarver was rewriting the rules of Golf !?!?) try WEEI's audio at http://player.tritonmedia.com/entercom/WEEIFM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Just cancel the sign in details if you do not want to share your contact info.
Game 6 is ok too as they would win it in Fenway!
GO SOX!
S
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Pete...

In the early 60's I was at Northeastern and living in a house with some friends in North Reading. Curt Goudy lived about a mile north of us on Haverhill St. At that time he owned radio station WCGY. Big Jim Luscatoff (sp?) owned a sports camp nearby.

Later I moved into an apartment near the Museum of Fine Arts and during the hot summers, with no air conditioning, when we had the windows open we could hear the crowd in Fenway Paaahk cheer whenever the Sox scored a run.

I was really poor those days so I never went to a game. Now I own a Bertram 33 so I am still poor.

Minga!

Go Pats!
Frank B
--------------
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

IRGuy wrote: when we had the windows open we could hear the crowd in Fenway Paaahk cheer whenever the Sox scored a run.
Nice quiet neighborhood!

Congrats on your second WS appearence in 100 years
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Pete-
The Red Sox won the World Series in 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 2004 and 2007. They lost the World Series in 1946, 1967, 1975, and 1986.
I am aware that from 1918 to 2004 is a long time.
BUT Four Freakin' Days in October (you may enjoy the first 3:30)

You could hear Fenway everywhere those nights...
/rant>
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Stephan wrote:Pete-
The Red Sox won the World Series in 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 2004 and 2007. They lost the World Series in 1946, 1967, 1975, and 1986.
I am aware that from 1918 to 2004 is a long time.
I knew I wasn't entirely accurate, don't get your red stockings in a bunch ;)
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
Hopefully all it will take is one more game on Wednesday night, Big Pappi has to give another pep talk in the dug out and no more BS calls from the Umps. Time to think about next years line-up need some more big bats especially in the Shortstop position, Even with my knee problems I could out hit Drew. It will be the first time that they have won the world series in Fenway Park since 1918 according to the news papers. Don't need to play on Halloween there is enough scary stuff going on around Boston on that night. I still can't make it to the Fort Lauderdale Boat show because of my knee problems, I checked into renting a scooter but it's just to crowded for getting around with one of those. GO RED SOX in 6.
Pete Fallon
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Lived on Park Drive at the corner of Beacon Street from '65 through '68 while at law school. Not the best years for Red Sox World Series, but 1967 was a thriller. Always missed classes for opening day at Fenway. Traffic in the area wasn't too bad when the Sox were playing, but was always impossible on the weekend afternoons when the Boston Patriots were at home. Those were good times!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

White Bear,
Your almost as old as I am, when I was a kid my grandfather knew the guy that owned the building at the corner of Park Drive and Beacon St,we used to park for free out back and walk to Fenway. Do you remember the Boston Tea Party Night Club in the Back Bay, I saw Eric Clapton play there when he was with Cream, saw Jimi Hendrix in the old Garden,1st balcony 1st row didn't need to bring anything of my own to smoke. I remember going to the Pats games at BU field and Harvard stadium and going to a Boston Braves game with my dad in the early 50's. That's when the Mystic River bridge was a quarter to come into Boston, now $3.50. How about the old aquarium in Southie. Logan Airport was one medium sized terminal. Deer Island was a hill and a navigational aid, not a huge sewer treatment plant. I could go on all night but all I want is one more game on Wednesday night GO RED SOX. Do you litigate any defective medical implant cases?
Pete Fallon
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pete,
Good luck to your Sox.

I still think baseball is the only sport you can play while taking a nap even though I played it for 12 years.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bruce,
I agree with your analogy, you can fall asleep and not miss much. Looks like they are going to win it tonight 6 to 0 in the 6th inning. Looks like I am going to have to move back to Boston area to have the 4th knee installed nobody here in South Florida is up for doing it. House, boat and everything else except the cats are now for sale. Just what I did not want to do in the winter, but I cannot stay on crutches for 5 more months. Can't play golf I might as well be miserable in New England . Bruce do you need a table saw? It's a (heavy duty Mao Shan 1-1/2 hp with a real steel table) on 4 roller wheels with locks. Two more innings , GO SOX Pete Fallon
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

RED SOX ROCK WICKED PISSER
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Congrats to your Sox.

And yes nobody is doing anything in Florida anymore. My brother in law is a well connected doctor down here and maybe he could find an orthopedic doc for you. If interested give me a shout.

Anyways, other than this weekend, Nov 14 thru 17th and dec 7th weekend I am open to help you in anyways even if its only being a grunt or mule. Don't hesitate to call me.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

To quote my college coach, and probably ever other coach out there. "Act like you've been there before." Some of the intellectual comments heard from the crowd "that's what you get when you don't pitch to Big Papi" yeah sure, pitch to a guy who is seeing nothing but 60mph beachballs coming straightdown the middle and is hitting 800 in the playoffs -- moron, you make someone else beat you. "Hey Yankee fans, you suck, when was the last time you won anything? 2009, oh yeah well you still suck, how many world series in your lifetime, we've got 3 -- um 9 --- congratulations Boston on a great season, and wonderful turnaround.

Tom
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

TailhookTom wrote: "Hey Yankee fans, you suck, when was the last time you won anything? 2009, oh yeah well you still suck, how many world series in your lifetime, we've got 3 -- um 9 --- congratulations Boston on a great season, and wonderful turnaround.

Tom
I'm not sure where this comes out of? I'm a NYer and a Yankee fan, I'm not upset that the Sox won, congrats good for you guys. BUT next time we win the last thing I will do is rub it in your nose because we don't have to act like we've been there before because we have.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I'm not exactly sure why many of the Yankee fans see that much right in bringing the Yankees into this discussion either here or on Facebook. This series had nothing to do with the Yankees. It was the Sox and the Cards. The Cardinals put up a good fight. I think it could perhaps have gone either way at one point. They played well!! Hat tip to them.

That being said, the rivalry has definitely calmed because of the great disparities between the Sox and Yankees as of late. Do the Yankees have a storied history? Sure. Great. Congrats. Many teams do. Is what it is. Sadly, my Sox Yankees tickets sold mostly for face or less this past season. The Red Sox have many great back stories this year. The Yankees showed great class after the bombing in Boston this spring, and I for one was impressed. Very classy. I'd like to think that the Sox would do the same if the situations were reversed. Its pretty hard to get revved up over a rivalry with the Ray's... I'd like the Yankees to improve again. It would be good for both teams. Good for business so to speak.

But this series doesn't have much to do with the Yankees. It really doesn't. It has to do with a team that was last in the majors last year. Three championships in a decade is pretty cool. No matter what. And a city with a couple of very public setbacks this year who enjoy the win even more as a result. One setback in particular. It really is great, and I for one savor it as a season ticket holder. I wore my hat to work today. I bought it at the park at the ALDS game I attended a couple weeks back. Its good karma.

Fun series. Fun post season. Great team to watch all season long. And yes, the games take to long now. LOL!!!!
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I saw a picture this morning of an over turned car after the game. I didn't pay much attention and do not know if there was more of that but it always left me with the floating ? over my head. What is up with wrecking shit after a world championship victory. To the best of my recollection it has never happened here. Now in Detroit when the pistons would win the whole freeking town was on fire! Of course there, it is considered "improvement" and property values rise.

its all fun until somebody looses and eye........

By the way congrats to Boston I was pulling for them.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

MarkS wrote:Its all fun
Unless it's your property that's being vandalized...
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug: The Connecticut Red Sox fans have been more celebrating that the Yankees didn't win -- and running around like a 3 year old that found the halloween candy stash. You won it in 04, 07 and now 13 -- congratulations on a great season and a remarkable turnaround. Act like you've been there before, you have.

I just had a Sox fan tell me "you won 27 but you lost 19. Yup, it sucks to have played in 46 world series I guess. It is the Boston fans ragging on the Yankees -- what was my FB status on Game 1? "Go Red Sox" I'd rather see an AL EAST team, especially won that beat the Yankees every series this season win it all than anyone else.

Tom
Dug

Post by Dug »

Agreed on the property damage. Silly. Unfortunate. Immature. Actually pretty limited compared to '04. But not right anyway.

Tom, you are one of a couple guys. That's all. I guess if you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all. Not that I live by that every day as you know. My filter has holes in it... Always has. Trying to patch said holes, but to a degree its what makes each of us who we ares...
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bruce,
Thanks for the offer to help, I have been connected with the top doc in Boston for revision surgery. Bruce, Do you need a good table saw it's free just come and pick it up. Dug and the rest of the Sox fans it was a good year especially after last years disaster 93 losses and a lot of dissention in the club house. On the turning over of the car, every city has a few jackass' s that don't have any respect for anything. The Card's played well and it could have gone either way after game 4. Anyway Red Sox fans can enjoy the victory for a few more months.
Pete Fallon
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Dug,

You are 100% correct and I am just busting chops, that may be hard to tell with my writing skills. In my defense I have only responded when the Yankees have been referenced.

I will admit to one serious flaw in being a NY sports fan, being in the biggest city in the world lots of people don't care. Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, Jet's, Giants, Yankees or Mets can be in the middle of the biggest game of the year and a large majority didn't even both paying attention. You could have a Beatles reunion in Central Park and half the folks would say I hear some rock group is playing in the park tonight. To contrast that I've been stuck in Green Bay traffic in August becuase the Packers were returning from a pre season game, waited hours for a stadium tour again in the offseason and watched grandma types wearing face paint. You just don't see a whole city light up like you do in the small markets.

Congrats again Sox fans!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the offer Pete, but I got a table saw.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

To contrast that I've been stuck in Green Bay traffic in August becuase the Packers were returning from a pre season game, waited hours for a stadium tour again in the offseason and watched grandma types wearing face paint.
I've been cussed and elbowed by a grandma at a Packer game in line for a beer. Moral of the story; Don't f&$k with grandma when she's on a pisser!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
The car that was flipped over after the RED SOX won the series was done by a group of teenagers. The driver came out in the morning to go work and the car was gone, It was a lease car. A fund was started by some of the neighbors and by that night he had the $2,500 needed to release another car, his insurance company paid the lease company and he got another car. So even if the vandals that did that were not caught yet the lease owner was taken car of. I doubt that would have happened in New York City, but maybe I am wrong. The Boston PD have all the video of the indecent and will have arrests very soon.
Pete Fallon
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:A fund was started by some of the neighbors
That was VERY decent of his neighbors…
Pete Fallon wrote:the lease owner was taken car of.
He didn't end up loosing his "no claim" discount?!… His new policy rates didn't go up?!… There's more to indemnifying somebody's damages then taking care of the immediate damages…
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Minga!

(I also lived in Lawrence for a while!)
Frank B
--------------
John F.

Post by John F. »

Congrats to the Red Sox and their fans. Even a lifelong Yankee like me can appreciate the play and approach to the game of the Sox, especially Pedroia. Again, congrats.

John F
Lifelong diehard Yankee fan
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

They sure do know how to throw a parade. And what a nice touch ending it at the marathon finish line with the trophy and Boston Strong 617 shirt.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Anybody see the full page ad the Sox took out thanking the Cards for a good series?
PC strikes again.

20 years ago that ad would have read...Thanks for a great series Cards, if you didn't suck we might have had a chance of losing.
Better luck next year. Like you have prayer.

What happened to down in the dirt competition?
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Bruce wrote:What happened to down in the dirt competition?
We have Bill Belichick for that:

Since John Henry (Red Sox owner) bought the Boston Globe (for less than the cost of a seconbaseman and DH) we're likely to see more of this...
Best,
S
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Pete Fallon wrote:Guy's,
I doubt that would have happened in New York City, but maybe I am wrong.
Pete Fallon

No Pete you are right, the car would not have been overturned in New York.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

jspiezio,
I agree with you the NYC thugs would not have wasted that much time turning it over, they would have stripped it down right on the spot.
Pete Fallon
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Pete Fallon wrote:jspiezio,
I agree with you the NYC thugs would not have wasted that much time turning it over, they would have stripped it down right on the spot.
Pete Fallon
That was funny.
Hey, at least they're trying to make a living!