off topic wood job on Aprea Mare

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Gert van Leest

off topic wood job on Aprea Mare

Post by Gert van Leest »

we changed the rotten mahogany boards on this Aprea Mare ( italian boat )

Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Re: off topic wood job on Aprea Mare

Post by MarkS »

I really like that boat! What a fun "howdy" boat for the lakes in my neck of the woods.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Gert van Leest wrote:we changed the rotten mahogany boards on this Aprea Mare ( italian boat )
Rotten?!… How old is that boat?!… I was under the impression that the Aprea Mare was a higher end brand… Shoddy production or shoddy ownership?!...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Gert

Nice, did you have to steam the wood to get the bend?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Gert,
Looks like a case of water intrusion at the hull side level under the gunwale cap rail, not enough drainage and air circulation behind cockpit side panels, water just sits in the joints and rots the boards away from the inside. I remember when they first introduced that boat in the early 80's here in the U.S. ,pretty lines, double ended like a north sea trawler style vessel, nice bright work.
You make me jealous by bringing your boat to the warm Med waters, had a friend that just came back from doing the French Riveria to Paris in his 50' sail boat took the mast down a putted his way thru the canal systems, took him and his wife 3 months, going back next spring/summer then going from France to Hamburg Germany then putting it on a freighter to bring it back to the US he's had it over in the Med for 7 years. You did a nice restoration on the Italian Bertram.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Pete you are right !
Aprea Mare is not build for our humid dutch weather ...we did not need to steam the wood , we just gave it a couple of days to get used to being bend ...every day a litle more.

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.