long island 31 s

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

Post by randall »

theres a real pretty one in atlantic beach....and you could go through the photo gallery and find some i bet
34Hatt

31's

Post by 34Hatt »

Do any of you own or know where the old Bimini Kid 31 went. A friend use too own it sold it a few years back.

Hey Capt DQ Just remember Timmys Hat may be a Tubbb and not float much but not all of them are that way!! LOL
Hey Timmmmy the weather broke today hope your out there working on making up for the time you took off!!!!!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
John F.

Post by John F. »

I remember Bimini Kid at Montauk 4 years or so ago. Nice boat. I think its listed on Yachtworld. Both me (Northport) and my B31 (Montauk) are from LI.

John F.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

you right about atlantic beach boat--Miss Rose---at one point it was for sale-not sure it ever traded ----i think Bob Lico knows wearabouts of the Bimini Kid
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

just remembered another one---in Lindenhurst---owned by Karl Tank Boat Yard
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i fished the canyon and won the babylon marlin /tuna tournament on the bimini kid.anthony vaccarow owned the bimini kid and sold it to buy white water marine (parker/contender dealership)the new owner kept the name and dock it in the bayshore area.a note of interest capt. anthony took his new bride on there honeymoon aboard the bimini kid and went to the state of maine from south shore of long island quite a trip!needless to say at that time coming from the hat/bert shootout as the "desinated angler" on a 55'hatterass in 10' seas on both boats to call the 31bert a rldt would be a insult to any tournament angler intelligents.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Hi, Charlie. Looks like I'm in already. But then there is a 31 flybridge tied up at Fair Harbor, fire Is. all summer plus Fred Geis's KarFre in Morriches and WaterLou in Bablon. What about the Billy Joel boat in Huntington.

Ya know , we could stage our own rendezvous. it would be grand. Hun's Old Hat would be the "facility boat" if we could figure out a way to tow it down here. After the glorious affair, tow it out to the North Atlantic to become the "Long Island Bertram Reef".
A/K/A El Gaupo
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Dick,
Huns Old Hatt isn't even near to being able to float for a tow. Tim took me by CMP's place in NH last Saturday and his B26 center console project was looking sweet. It's a week or two from going to the painter and then its going to get two Volvo's diesels with outdrives. It will have a tower as well. Should be a very cool boat when finished. When Mark finishes his boat that's when things will start to happen on Tim's express hatt
Timmy requires parental guidance !
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Bob, Any angler that would run a 31' anything out of port, knowing there were 10' seas doesn't need having a RLDT moniker attached to the boat to have his intelegence insulted
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'll tell your buddy Tred you said that.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

timmy....you should have come for the panga ride over to (cant spell it but sounds like ) ha-key with me and achilles.....10+ and we drifted just outside the impact zone for 2 hours.....not ashamed i didnt get out of the boat....that was intense enough
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Yeah I remember when Anthony did his honeymoon trip. That's when I knew he found a good Women!!!! Actually it was Anthony who told me about my 34' Hatt it belonged to a buddy of his in the Club. So he just put us together, so I let him sell my old boat he had my cash to me in 5 days. So I asked him what took him so long. He now has his Fathers old boat ( bimini Bum) a Pace hull that was made into a custom express it has White Water on it now.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

you still planning on skiing this wekend?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tim we did not rum out of port it was a overnighter.a nasty front came in.we started homebound and it was getting bad.i was on the bridge and the waves height was at eye level in the trough so that makes 15'waves.anthony put the boat into a quartering sea also putting us off course.a day to never to forget. the 55' hat (general j ) did take 12' waves any better than the 31.this is 350hp mercruiser with two giant coolers filled with ice and a ton of gear.
mike i am open to sugestion you tell me 4 years ago in early june we had heard some tuna sightings in the dip.the bimini kid got there a little late9 boats were ahead of us (running adjacent to the drop off ) one of them was tred with the editor of sport fishing aboard.two hats in front of us one a real pro jim hummel.bam a 350 pound plus blue marlin hits a purple doorknob.tred takes his boat and calls off the other in the area giving the kid a wide berth anthony brings the monster boat side and we tag and release.appear in all the local fishing magazines.tell me that the 31 just draws the big guys in or it was luck with 8 others going over the same spot!!!!31 bertram the best of the best
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Bob, been there, done that. The proff has a affinity for picking the best days to run out for a overnighter, then have the weather turn to crap. Been on his flybridge(can you call it that on a boat that small?) and looked up at the top of the waves. thats when I learned the best way to keep your bunk is to allways pretend your sleeping, oh and if you grab all the covers in the boat you can keep dry, sort of.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes timmy like the last time we went out i think you went to bed around 5 pm, by 3 am the only spot i could find was the bridge.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Yup. and you have to make sure eveyone of the other 6 guys is asleep before you sneak out for a pee, or you loose your spot.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i must say your kidneys must be made of iron
randall

Post by randall »

charlie.....seeing you try to sleep on the bridge was maybe witnessing the most uncomfortable boat berth ever...(charlie big-bridge small).....however waking up at two in the morning and seeing mike asleep on the aluminum cabin floor with the 110 cockpit light extension cord under em was givin you a run for the money.......
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i would of glady taken the cord any day, whats 120 v when your used to playing with 7800 v
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Thuudddd -- grab all the covers? You have covers? real men don't bring duvets on a B31!
randall

Post by randall »

he had the cuddy to himself till i took a runnin start and augered in
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

covers, blankey, whatever. It was so wet in there , I tried to crawl under the cushions
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

This year I'll bring 5 mil garbage bags for you to sleep in......

Actually, it's much better since we replaced the rubrail. Ten tubes of Sika flex cures a world of ills.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

If you manage to con me into another of those overnight trips, I'll probably bring a survival suit to sleep in...................
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

You know that I never leave the dock without one for every passenger....

But just in case I'm ever short..... I also have at least 11 rounds in the 9mm...... in case there's a dispute over who get's to use them.

Frankly, if it comes down to a choice between the suit, or you puking in the raft, I might just choose the suit.

Or the gun......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hey now Prof, His Timmy-ness did not puke in Panama, even in the 20+ ft. swells those first couple of days, nor on AJ in the various UVIs....course his luggage was lost in Panama, so maybe his puke pills got lost too. Figure he was so scared of the crabs, gators, & snakes at Port Eads that puking would leave a chum line and they could find him easy.

That's why I put Randall & Ric in the refrigerator box, a/k/a The Cute Cottage - hard for anything extra to get in there.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

thats why i always bring my winter wet suit....booties and gloves............................on a completely different (but related) subject......dr matt sent me one of his personally crafted totaly trick offshore rods.....truly a thing of beauty and a joy forever...................really special
In Memory of Vicroy

Randall - the Surgeon General made one for me a few years ago and a few baits with AJs pix imbedded in them......ranks up there with the stuff you have made for me & the Bride....& the Prof's UVI shirts, etc and all I can say is nice to know you guys.....who'd ever thunk that much talent could meet.....

Turned out Spring today in coonassland finally, 82 today and sunny, went for a long walk in shorts & UVI shirt and let the sun eat on me....been a very long cold winter in coonassland. Camp time tomorrow, boiled crawfish and cold beer in my immediate future...... After this winter I see why the suicide rate in Seattle is so high. Today I turned the heater off in the shop for the second time since Christmas. The $89 Wal Mart a/c still works fine after its CX cure last summer.

UV
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Timmmmy not skiing this weekend have to many other things going on.

Hey If you want to do a overnighter come with me. We don't bring blankets or bags for everyone. I just turn on the ac or heat if it gets nippy, isn't that what real men do.....................
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
randall

Post by randall »

UV...whats the name of a spicy crayfish stew....8 letters _T_ _ _F _ E
In Memory of Vicroy

Crawfish Etouffee, pro. A-2-FAY. A food that makes coonasses stay here despite failed schools, rampant crime, crooked politicians, etc, rivaled only by crawfish bisque, a stew like etouffee but with the crawfish heads stuffed with corn bread and ground crawfish meat dressing, and a little seasoning.

But hot boiled crawfish are the creme de la creme of coonassland - peel & eat, suck the heads...we are early in the season yet, so we are moaning at the price, about 2 bucks a pound ready to eat. Me & the Bride are big crawfish eaters and about 6# will do us with leftovers. In a month or two they will be about a buck a pound.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

thanks
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Dan, that and drink
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Randall & Walter: Correct as to Smith's 31 on Shelter Island. It has been in the yard for many years. Bill has no desire to sell as it is still his intention to get it back in the water. Too bad, as the boat has been sitting uncovered all the time since its last haul out.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Given all that time bareass to the elements, I'd guess it would take a lot of time and bucks to get it back in the water running right. My bet is he'll never do it even though I would hope he would. It's gotta be 4-5 years, no? Walter