New Boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

TailhookTom

New Boat

Post by TailhookTom »

Well, I did it, I bought another boat -- but due to a lot of reasons, I opted for a center console. I now own a Pursuit 2470 with twin 150 HPDI Yamahas on the back of it (it actually is 26 feet per my insurance company and marina as they got cute at Pursuit and pretend that the integral bracket isn't part of the boat in calculating waterline that year -- it was changed to 26 later) It holds 150 gallons of fuel, low cruise is an easy 25kts burning 13gph total at 3500rpm (yes, that's actual in a month of running the boat), high cruise is 30kts burning 16gph at 4000rpm, topend is 44kts burning way more than I want to know. It seems to be a well thought and well constructed boat -- even has a marine head (not porta potty) in the center console which I can get in and out of -- although it would be easier if I was 50lbs lighter and 5 inches shorter!

It was a single owner boat and was traded in this summer by an 80 year old gentleman who had bought it as a retirement present for himself. Hours on port motor 284.3, starboard 283.8 - yep, I'm breaking them in still.

It has a softtop on the t top, and a Garmin Chartplotter and Lowrance depth sounder -- both circa 1999, so they are going to be replaced more likely than not by a Raymarine A78 with Chirp and Radar. I've ordered some Rupp Radials and stocked up on 2 stroke Yamalube. The boat was immaculate -- and was never fished -- I've fixed that problem and bloodied the decks already.

So, I've now got a boat I can easily fish for striped bass, bluefish and fluke by myself -- or when the weather is good, put together a crew and go shark or tuna fishing. I'm debating having a popup put up on the bow so that a crewman or two could crawl in on an overnight trip to get out of the weather (well as out of it as you can get.

I hope I still get to play in the sandbox now that I've committed the ultimate in sacrilegious offensives: 1 it isn't a Bertram, 2 it is a gasser, 3 it is an outboard, and 4 it was built in the midwest, and finally, it is dark green!!!!!!!

Tom
PeterPalmieri

Re: New Boat

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Congrats and good luck with her Tom. I think in many cases a center console is a great boat, especially as people age and the climbing becomes a chore, untying dock lines and dropping anchor becomes easier. I did own a 24' CC and added a bow dodger, honestly it wasn't all that useful, just got in the way. It is great to run up to redrift and not have to put the rod down!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
John F.

Re: New Boat

Post by John F. »

Congrats Tom. Pursuit makes a really nice boat. Good luck with her.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J