Dinette

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Dinette

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm looking to freshen up the dinette area over the winter, I've gone back and read through a number of threads so I don't have to reinvent the wheel here.

There have been a few different ways ; removing old formica and replacing with new mica, removing then filling and painting and also going over the old with new mica.

From what I'm reading I should be able to remove the seats and work on them at home. Wondering about the flimsy bulkhead and cubbies, should i replace them and if so with what material?

I'm happy with the layout so I'm not looking to redesign anything, would like to replace the table but may just resurface that as well. Any thoughts on the hangers that hold the back cushions?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Re: Dinette

Post by Carl »

I sprayed mine as we could not decide the best option.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Peter-

This is how I redid the Anna E. My original dinette was pretty much trashed, and I just took everything out. I liked the clean look of mounting the seats flush with the bulkheads, but the seats weren't as comfortable as when they were angled. When I redo the interior of Crows Nest, I'll probably do something pretty similar. Just an idea.

1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

John I like what you did there to Anna E. - it's simple, functional, good looking. I like your transition teak into the bunk area also-nice. I could very well follow this design again depending how elaborate I want to get with the "spartan" cabin! ( I'm also sort of a traditionalist here, reminds me of our old bert). Heck the wife's ok with original design other than "galley area".
What galley area really!
Carl

Post by Carl »

John- that dinette looks clean and sharp. Really like what you did with the interior.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Rocky/Carl-

Thanks. Then I f*cked up and sold the boat. Now I get to do it again...
Carl

Post by Carl »

John...isn't that what your supposed to do?

Spend all your money and time getting the boat 100% the way you want, then sell it hoping to maybe break even. Although with your nifty accounting system you leave the out things, like the cost of electronics, motors, shafts props and of course your time.. so the numbers don't seem too bad. Then you go out and buy someone else s headache and start all over again.

Maybe that's why I procrastinate about finishing mine...always something left to do.

Still...that table looks good!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Looks very good John, did you replace the outer bulkhead?

Carl did you take them out to paint them or did you do it in place? What kind of paint did you use over the laminate and prep?

Pete
John F.

Post by John F. »

Peter-

I just filled whatever holes were in the bulkheads, sanded and painted. They were not replaced.

John
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I want to put a sofa along the port side with two flip up tables, one on each bulkhead. I am not much on the old setup.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter-

I only sprayed the table top and side over the formica.

I went real EZ and Cheap...Woven pad to scuff surfaces and then Home Cheapo had a White Aerosol for painting bathroom fixtures or something. Two coats and I was done. I hoped it would last a little while so I didn't have to look at a table that never looked clean no matter how much I scrubbed it. If I wanted it to last I would have used something better or at least Interlux's Perfection as that has given me great results in the cockpit. But then again its out of the elements.

I had my dinette cushions redone years ago...nice EZ update if keeping the same configuration.

If you are thinking about spraying cushions with Upholstery or fabric spray...I have done that before. It works great for short term use and especially to see if you like the color. I suck at visualizing color schemes ...but I know what I like soon as I see it. I say short term...but have done outside with Seat Cushions and Bimini Top and got a season out of it.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John F. wrote:Peter-

I just filled whatever holes were in the bulkheads, sanded and painted. They were not replaced.

John
John I'm talking about the panel that has three cubbies up under the gunwales, seems like mine has a glued on cloth cover of some kind?
John F.

Post by John F. »

Mine was trashed. The white peg board was a mess. I started over and made new everything with marine ply, west, and interlux. It came out nice. Decent amount of work to build with all the cubby hole storage things. I almost never used them, so my next effort may or may not have them
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Rawleigh,
Once were done with real estate you need to see what I'm doing on Dreamsicle. A sofa(?) along the aft bulkhead and up the port side. A foldout table that (when folded) will hold four beers, unfolded it will hold four plates. It's a day boat. Over night (except fishing) will be in motel rooms, and if my bride has anything to do with it they will have room service.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
allhookedup

Post by allhookedup »

Peter, if you are thinking of replacing any of the interior woodgrain laminate, I found a perfect match at Long Island paneling, made by Wilsonart #7110k-78 Montana walnut. ron