6BTA gauges

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bbtiller

6BTA gauges

Post by bbtiller »

I want to replace the OEM cummins dash gauge "clusters" with individual gauges. Has anyone done this? Any advice would be appreciated.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
bob lico

Re: 6BTA gauges

Post by bob lico »

I never use the OEM gauges ,mainly cause there are so many options to fit your personal taste.i choose flowscan brand because they had both motors in one gauge and I wanted to put gauges in smallest area possible ,that plus as i stated before two in one gauges have a advantage because all you have to do is glance at them rather then read because indicating needles face each other and lineup if one is off it becomes obveous the flowscan have LED indicating needles and blink when the hit the parameter you set. They also have four in one and so many other option then the boring Yanmars,cummins or cat gauges.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Make the gauges fit your dash. I used the stock cummins panel and rearranged until i got what I was looking for. Wish I knew about Bob Licos flowsacn gauges before I started, I could have made room for even more gauges..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Yea bob all well and good on the gauges but they still curse at me coming into harbor while you cruise in at 3 mph! I am making " progress" 230 gallons of fuel and kill boxes loaded with ice plus gear and four guys I got it down to 5 .1 mph a new record .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

I could be wrong, but I don't think Floscan makes the twinscan gauges in anything other than the fuel flow model (i.e. no temp, oil pressure, etc) any longer.
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I believe you are right John. The duel tach. With engine scyronizers are essential to the boat operation .i would be lost without it ,so if it ever craps out I would have to use a auxiliary scyronizers and try to fit it under glass.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

These gauges by flowscan were ideal because they were factory wired totally isolated (each engine independent) with seperating pyrameters so in my situation with separate dedicated battery systems I was able to fully utilize the flowscan isolated wiring. Normally the gauges are just Daisey chained on hot lead. Even the led have to be port to port powered and starboard to starboard powered. The fuel gauge is powered from house power with seperating switch any infraction would allow a gauge to form a electrical path should one battery fault and short out causing both starting batteries to drain.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I believe this is the twinscan labels on Bob's boat...

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the three led indicating lights below are just for safety. they indicate upper bilge pump forward, lower bilge pump mid ship and upper bilge pump at transom ,if all three pump indicators go up "your in a heap of big trouble". the tach readings are dead nuts with photo tach. excellent made in USA workmanship !
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

How easy (difficult) is it to disconnect and then reconnect the cummins gauges to new gauges?
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Simple----- cummins wiring harness goes to terminal block behind dashboard (easy to troubleshoot if you ever have to).from there to each gauge. cummins OEM wiring harness has a grey,white pair in it not terminated use for transmission oil pressure the pair is rolled up next to starter motor.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473