Miss Chief

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptDan

Miss Chief

Post by CaptDan »

Hello faithful!

Just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself and my slightly used girl friend. My name is Dan and her name is Miss Chief. She is a 1974 31 Bahia Mar with twin marine power 454 (both over 3500 hours) and a marlin tower. Miss Chief was the first charter boat I was introduced to in Key Largo when I began my career ten years ago and as luck would have it I took an opportunity to purchase her over a year ago.

Since then her darkest secrets have become my restless nights thinking about leaking shaft & rudder ports, sagging engine decks, rotten strut pads and exposed plywood bulkheads. Its not all doom & gloom though. She and her workhorse 454s have put me in the position to take her to the beauty shop soon to tackle a couple of issues.

The one area I am struggling with is the day area decks (forward and aside the engines). The previous owner attempted a woven roven over plywood hatchet job that is mostly rotten now, so its time to pay the piper. After calling Cabreras (was not interested in the project), high tide (don't have the deck molds) and glasstech (wants $8500 for the deck), I am seeking advice from anyone with an opinion.

-Capt. Dan Matthews
Miss Chief Charters
Key Largo, FL
http://www.MissChiefCharters.com
Carl

Re: Miss Chief

Post by Carl »

Welcome to the sandbox Captain Dan.
Your list of issues can be tackled with some basic instruction found on this site. Or ask for addion guidance and Be assured you will receive exclent advise on several ways to tackle the project at hand.

Deck- my original deck comprised of nothing more then a bunch of Oak uprights tied together in a simple grid of mahogany to which nautilex covered marine plywood panels where fit. Hatches where basic frames with similar covered plywood inserts. Simple, inexpensive and effective design that lasted years.
Panels were replaced over the years.
I removed the whole nine yards some years ago, replacing the wood uprights and basic grid with fiberglass structural material and replaced old plywood deck with a used later model original style fiberglass deck from a similar boat going thru a total restore. Deck was in desent shape. Required some glass work and a good paint job to restore.
My other option was to glass over marine ply panels or go back to the nautilex covered panels... Both good options on a shoestring budget. I like the original, remove able panels so you keep full access to every area. But have seen panels tied and glassed together too.

Full custom decks were not a viable option for me... But do look great.

I'd try to look at a few similar boats and get familiar with how they are built and figure a game plan that fits your liking and budget.

Best of luck to you,
Carl
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Welcome.
Here's an old thread covering decks.

http://www.bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?p=62579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Hello Captain Dan!
Most of us don't have Bahia Mars, forward and aside our engines are either in the cabin or under the side decks.
Bob Higgins will be along shortly, look at his posts like http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... 426#p81426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or look at John Cranston's Reel Cowboy and then if you just execute 1/10th of what you see there you're all set.
Now how do I get 3,500+ hours out of my 454s and what refinery shall we buy?
Best and welcome,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

You can build your own with a minumim of tools really a table saw and router is all you need. Deck will be made of 3/4" Coosa board good for 1000 years. Here is the finish product just look up my name and there is a step by step explanation. Nice to have you aboard.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Dan, If I were to do it all over again Id use coosa and make my own custom deck..Just remember its like opening pandoras box..fix what you find and move on..Bahia Mars are a Great fishing platform..been running mine non stop 75 hours in 42 days...The step up at the engine boxes keeps the water in the pit..gives you a better visability as well..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
CaptDan

Post by CaptDan »

Great input everyone.
Bob H: never thought about a step up. Never been crazy about a step up on boats, but I can see the value.
Would like to keep water off the engines and been thinking about a lip around the engines.
Bob Lico: Love the pic of your cockpit deck and engine boxes. Will look into the coosa method.
Stephan: you would be surprised at how efficient 454s can be if you don't open up
The secondaries on those 4 barrels. At 2300 I get 15 knots and get almost 1 mpg. We also don't run
Far to fish in the Keys. On a full day offshore I run 5 miles to the edge and troll my way out. Burn about 50 gal.
I Would like the torque and longevity of diesels, but my goal is to baby these gassers and get
Every hour out of them before making the swap.

I will keep you guys posted on her progress!

-Capt. Dan Matthews
Miss Chief Charters
Key Largo, FL
http://www.MissChiefCharters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Capt. Dan

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Welcome aboard Dan
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dan welcome.

You will get plenty of advice here. All of it will be good.

Ask away.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Welcome Dan! I like your writing style! Very creative. The underlying structural fiberglass pieces can be bought from Mmaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#fiberglass/=ofmvxs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31