Daytona 500

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

Daytona 500

Post by Capt. DQ »

Well getting ready to relax and enjoy the 500, cold & breezy here today. Its going to be interesting to say the least with the wind kicking up there in Daytona today getting three & four wide at 190mph. They's going to be some rubbing going on today, that for sure!

DQ
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Nice ending, Can't say I've seen many come across the line on their roof -albeit 18th place.
Kinda sucked for Mark Martin (always root for the old guy anymore), and did I see Gordon pull out 3rd after dodgin the wreck-lucky dog.
Best race I've seen in years, just gonna flick it on with 10 to go from now on.

Now if I could just stop making these left turns. Think I'm dizzy from all the watchin (or clears)

Gotta go
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Harv

Post by Harv »

Toyota in Nascar??

What's up with that?
Thought this was supposed to be the great American race.
Who will try to enter next? Nissan? Mitsubishi? Hyundai?

Whoopty do for Subaru!!
Harv
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Martin should be the winner. There should have been a yellow for the crash and at that point he was in the lead
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

How's this for scary. The Toyota is the only one made in the US. Chevy= Canada, Ford=Mexico.
Yeah Toyota
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Ford in Mexico, now that's funny! But Toyota is made in the USA and they kept saying that yesterday to get fans to warm up to that.

All thou Toyota is kicking there butts in the Truck series. I think they need to do away with stricter plate racing and let those guys see who foot stay's on the floor then. Now that would be wild finish on the roof crossing the finish line then.

Brewster, under that white & green 2-lap finish means no caution's until somebody crosses the finish line. It would have been nice to see Mark Martin win that after so many years trying with Jack Roush and not making it.

DQ
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Just got back from 4 days at Daytona.

All three races including the duels were great.

Fantastic finish to the cup. Wife and I watched the end from the garage and you could hear the air go out of the track when Harvick came around turn 4 with Kenseth and Burton pushing him on the outside.

Martin would have won if Busch hadn't lost air on the car and turned sideways setting up the crash. That push lost from Busch was enough for Harvick to win by a nose.

Even if the yellow was thrown, replay shows Harvick was ahead at the time it would have been thrown and would have won on the green/white checkered setup from the red flag crashfest.

Toyota has bought their way into cup like they did in open wheel. The open wheel was a disaster. Time will tell.

The "great American race" quit being just that many years ago when stock cars quit being just that.
They are just tubular frames with a body that remotely resembles a production car and most couldn't tell who the make was without a bowtie, or dodge, Ford on the front valence.

The new COT cars are even more identical and are in some views nothing more than IROC cars.

Like all major sports NASCAR has fallen into the money/fame trap. Sponsors drive the sport and its rules.

Bill France Sr. is rolling over in his grave over what his grandson has done to the sport.

I got an offer a few years back to do a new boat engine setup for Bill France Jr. and refused.
When asked why I remarked he ought to be ashamed of himself for letting his weasle of a son ruin a great sport.

I'm not bitter though...............................
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

There goes the neighbor hood, damn no more anger management classes.

DQ