Bilge Pump Switch

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chanse

Bilge Pump Switch

Post by Chanse »

I installed a new Rule 3700 Pump and a 37A Float Switch two years ago. Pump seems fine however the switch seems unreliable.
Have came aboard after rains at times battery has run down other times fuse blown and some times as I step aboard it trips and
pumps last time I opened engine box and switch was way up but wouldn't trip the pump unless I rocked it up and down.
At first I thought my positioning of the switch must be wrong but now I suspect the switch is bad. In searching the net I see lots
of complains about the rule switches but also float switches in general..
What is a reliable switch? What are some of you running?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Bilge Pump Switch

Post by CaptPatrick »

What is a reliable switch?
Chuck,

The Ultra Saftey Switch, (Bob Mergenthaler, Ultra Safety Systems), is probably the best float switch available. Bob's also the guy that invented TefGel...

You should be probably be sitting down before you read the price though, but if properly installed it does what it's suposed to do and pretty much fool proof.

The Rule switches are pretty much crap and rarely get much more than a year's service before going bad...

Alan Donath, (Wolf Wire Forms), is a dealer for Ultra Safety Systems and also a friend of mine. Give Alan a call and ask him if he'll give you any Bertram31.com discount... (561) 845-6225
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I have been using that switch since 2006 and never had a problem thanks to this site. About 140 and worth it. The Ultra Senior has high water alarm wires on it as well.
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Yes that seems a better, more reliable system. The additional cost would be well worth it for the piece of mind.
Not sure which would be best with my Rule 3700. But intend to call next week for more info.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

C Hansen,
I agree with Capt Pat the Rule float switches are pretty much crap, I've had then fail more than four times, now I use only the Johnson 2200 gph pumps and matching switches in my 31. When I was building boats we used nothing but the Ultra switches they are well worth the price. I have a Rule 3000 that supplies the live well system in my boat, no float switch, pump has been in the boat for almost 20 years always starts when I turn on the push/pull switch at the helm station, it can also be used as a 4th bilge pump if I wanted.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61