Underwater Lights??? Suggestions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

le3

Underwater Lights??? Suggestions

Post by le3 »

I want to get some underwater lights. Any suggestions on manufacturers, types (halogen, LED, Xenon, HID)

Anybody ever used EFX Lighting, they seem very reasonably priced and they have a surface mounted light. Only problem is the housing is 316 Stainless (instead of bronze) and I am little concerned on how it would hold up in Saltwater under water all season.

Suggestions? Best light for the price.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

le3,

Agualights is the brand that a few of us here on this site have bought as a group a couple months back, metal halide(HID)/120v ltgs. being the best and most expensive, then comes Zenon/120v which would be next less expensive in line, then Halogen/12v which is what most of us here went with and could upgrade those to Zenon if we wanted too, by changing out the inner guts.
LED's are not bright enough in my opinion right now for underwater lights, later on they will get better. You can scroll back a few pages and find pictures posted of 31's with underwater ltgs. installed on the transom.

Hope that helps you.

DQ
le3

Post by le3 »

Sounds like a good idea to go with the Aqua Light 75 watt halogens and then upgrade later to xenon. Any idea how much the xenon guts cost if I wanted to upgrade in the future?
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

le3,

You need to PM JP Dalik to see what he can find out about the difference now in price. We all ordered through JP back before Christmas when Agualights had a sale going on and made a large purchase as a group. He could find out for you. JP ordered the 75w halogen's like me.

DQ
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Yo!!! DQ

You up and runnin yet with the lights. Still got mine in a box. Been up to my eyeballs in teak dust, fiberglass dust and boat parts. Engines/new trans get set this week along with covering boards and teak deck. 20 more coats on the rear bulkhead and we'll be good to go.
Anxious to hear how the 75h's look in the real world. More importantly did you find a brighter bulb?
From the pics I've seen here the boats looking good.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
le3

Post by le3 »

What does it typically cost to install (I am in NJ).
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

JP,

Ditto! trying to get the flybridge painted and get thru with the rest of the refit done, just slow going when your solo on a project. Weather's cold & crazy& breezy down here lately on the Gulf Coast but not like you guys are. I ready to shoot that freakin blind ground hog!, Shadow's Ass!

Your ride is looking down right awesome. I have your upgraded bulbs when your ready just shoot me a PM and address and there on there way.

Shoot me a PM with your phone# so we can talk.

le3- go to Aqualights website and see what there posting on prices today.

DQ
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

le3

In any boat. It's easier to use 2 people (one in the boat and 1 out for the install) then the helper can run wire and pretty up the loom while the connections are made at each end.

Best guess for 2 lights out the back would be 4 man hours plus travel. Thats a working best case scenario, meaning the electric panel has a space to drop the breaker in the panel itself is safely and correctly wired to the batteries and the bilges aren't loaded with oil residue and fish parts (the lights need a clean sealing surface for caulk). Average rate for a reputable private installer is around 70 per hour plus the cost of lights and any travel. If you use a marina it could be as much as 110.

If its something your thinking about shoot me a pm I can give you a few names of people you can trust in the central jersey area.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hurley lights

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

You might want to look at the Hurley lights. They mount two 75 watt Halogens on each trim tab, - no need to cut holes under the waterline, doesn't matter if your bilge is dirty. Also, being on the tabs, they are adjustable as to angle, if only a little bit. Price is about $875 a set (4 lights).
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
le3

Post by le3 »

I thought about using those trim tab lights, but I really wanted to see a picture (or in person ) of them installed and in use.

I am leaning towards the aqua lights halogen thru hulls because they are upgradeable and a cleaner install.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hurley Lights

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

For pictures, the sales rep I talked to was Capt. Richard Duncan in Ft. Lauderdale:

duncanrk@bellsouth.net
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."