Emergency engine shutdown controls

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Emergency engine shutdown controls

Post by Navatech »

My Berty has emergency engine shutdown controls in the form of two "T" shaped handles (one on each side of the wheel) that connect to cables that connect to Detroit Diesel air flaps.

As is common for neglected boats (previous owner) these controls are now frozen and completely inoperable. I have tried applying WD40 down the cables. That didn't work so I'm guessing I need new ones.

Question # 1: do such cables come with the "T" shaped handles? Mine are quite nasty looking and one of them has a split locking nut.

Question # 2: what kind of cable would I be looking for? Preference towards cables that reduce maintenance!

Question # 3: where would I look to purchase them?
IRGuy

Re: Emergency engine shutdown controls

Post by IRGuy »

I took a quick look in my West Marine 2013 annual catalog and found the "utility control" handles and base brackets on page 653.. the cables I have seen used are standard throttle/transmission control cables found on page 652.. made by Teleflex.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Navatech

Re: Emergency engine shutdown controls

Post by Navatech »

IRGuy wrote:I took a quick look in my West Marine 2013 annual catalog and found the "utility control" handles and base brackets on page 653.. the cables I have seen used are standard throttle/transmission control cables found on page 652.. made by Teleflex.
Thanks for the help!