Portholes and hatches

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Portholes and hatches

Post by Navatech »

Does anybody know who made the port holes and hatches that were used on the 46'6" Bertrams? I'm looking for some spare parts. I'd rather not have to custom make them.

Thanks in advance for any leads.
JohnD

Re: Portholes and hatches

Post by JohnD »

I found a replacement at Defender, I took the window off and measured the opening. I found one that was similar to the one it replaced, I was able to re-use inner frame backing.

Good Luck,
John
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Navatech,

I am pretty sure they were made by either Wilcox-Chritten(spelling?) or Perko. It was a pleasure meeting you last weekend, I enjoyed talking with you, I am looking for the base plate receiver for the Pompanette fighting chair at the local used part places around Stuart. I'll let you know if I find one.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

I have a company who makes custom hatches coming to see my 1986 B42 in the coming week, they tell me they can make anything to suit, my b42 deck hatches are awful ,no light , old n tired ,I spoke with Danny at Hightide and he dose replacement hatches but they require a lot of work and cost about 2500 each plus a lot of fitting ,I think he told me to bank on 4000 each all up, Check With him, The custom one made here will fit right in the old hatch hole and are great quality, a friend has some, Mine should be the same as yours so the pattern should be the same, should be easy to arrange two more ,If you want to, let me know, I`ll let you know costs as soon as I have the quote, It will be kiwi dollars so should be cheap for you, the exchange will probably cover the freight, have a look at his web site http://www.culehatches.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, also whats wrong with your port holes?
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:I am pretty sure they were made by either Wilcox-Chritten(spelling?) or Perko.
That would be Wilcox Crittenden. Unfortunately neither are still in the business of hatches (if they ever were).
Pete Fallon wrote:It was a pleasure meeting you last weekend, I enjoyed talking with you
Same here. If I were asked to describe you in the least amount of words it would be "old school salty gentleman" :-)
Pete Fallon wrote:I am looking for the base plate receiver for the Pompanette fighting chair at the local used part places around Stuart. I'll let you know if I find one.
I appreciate the effort.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Todd Pearce wrote:Mine should be the same as yours so the pattern should be the same
The Bertram 46'6" has 3 hatches. One for the forward compartment and one each for both heads. They're NOT like the hatches fitted on smaller Bertrams. They have a built-in dorade (scoop) and they have an inner (smaller) vent that one can open for ventilation that's more protected from spray. I'll post some pictures when I can.
Todd Pearce wrote:whats wrong with your port holes?
The problem I have with two port holes is that the springs that hold them open are broken. I could find other springs. I could even make some but stainless spring rod isn't easy to find. Plus I'd have to send them for chroming. I'd rather buy them. It looks like High Tide might have them.

As for the hatches, they have been neglected and multiple small things are stuck due to corrosion. Again, being able to buy some spare parts would be the easiest thing to do.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

if I rep[lace mine your welcome to the old ones,will keep you informed,my hatches are the same as yours but I only have two
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Todd Pearce wrote:if I rep[lace mine your welcome to the old ones,will keep you informed,my hatches are the same as yours but I only have two
Thanks!