iroko,for flooring instead of teak?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

iroko,for flooring instead of teak?

Post by Todd Pearce »

I am thinking of putting a teak n holly style floor in the galley and head, I want to do a 3-5 mm over lay on 6mm ply so as to get a custom pattern and finish, but the cost of teak is so high and its bound to get well used by the kids , (so I think thin veneer is out) and a friend suggested Iroko (African teak ,but not ) as an option mixed with maple, anybody had any experience with it?
Regards Todd
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: iroko,for flooring instead of teak?

Post by CaptPatrick »

Todd,

Iroko will be just fine for an interior sole once it's sealed and finished. Today's teak and holly is actually teak and maple anyway. so the maple is fine also...

Iroko is light to medium brown when newly installed; has a significant color change and turns to brown/dark brown over time according to the National Wood Flooring Association, so you might want to think twice about adding a stain.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I do still a few feet left of Amtico strip vinyl teak with some scroll border too. It never changes color is unaffraid of water and requires little if any maintainence. I have a bucket of glue as well and all can be had for a donation to the site. I'll even ship it free.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I like Iroko. It does look like a grainy teak and machines easily. 1/4 the price. I am using it for all my wood accents on the 25 - coaming board, center console door, helm seat, dash on the helm, etc. Iroko would make a very nice flooring material.

There is some variation in color. To even things out and give it an overall darker appearance, I stained the boards with aniline(sp?) dye. Powered variety, mixed with water. The water-based penetrates well and does not interfere with epoxy. Seal with a couple coats of low viscosity epoxy. Sand and spray with clear LP.

This stain may be a little dark for your floor. This is light oak Transtint mixed 1/4 tbsp./16oz water, 2 coats.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

as usual, you guys are great,mark that's a very nice offer but I am in New Zealand ,and I am sure the shipping would be to expensive to justify ,Cam are you turning that 25 into a CC? looks very cool ,keep the photos coming on that , I love a good project,keeps you awake n kickn
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

what about mahogany ? its the same price as iroko
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mahogany would work too, except that it's a much softer wood than Iroko and won't hold up as well for a sole.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
scot

Post by scot »

Looking good Cam!! Beautiful wood and really nice work.

I am in the process of fairing the transom cap now. I'll paint because I don't have the wood working skills, or patience needed to do the wood! I consider myself a mechanical "rough-in" guy, not a body shop guy! I picked up a Harbor Freight 16" x 2 3/4" air vibrating sander (body file).. that thing is saving me a lot future embarrassment, makes a pro out of anyone lol.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Thanks, Scot! I'm sold on Iroko, It's a great wood to work with at a reasonable price....for now.

Todd - If you are after a darker color, consider Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) mixed with maple or other light colored wood. Very good flooring and it finishes very well with teak oil. I made a bathroom vanity some time ago from BC and it still looks like new. Teak oil is very good if the wood is not exposed to direct sunlight as it has no UV inhibitors. Easy to re-apply if the finish starts to fade. It's not a hard finish, but should stand up to bare feet and flip flops!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

thanks again guys, I am going to do a trial run of iroko/maple and see how it looks, will let you know the out come
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Todd Pearce wrote:thanks again guys, I am going to do a trial run of iroko/maple and see how it looks, will let you know the out come
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate a picture :-)