Products update

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mitch

Products update

Post by Mitch »

It's been a number of years since my last Bertram project, so I'm lookin to the "masters" for advice on products. I'm doing the transom in plywood but the stringers and deck I want to do in fiberglass board. On my 31 I used plywood for the stringers and divynacell for the deck. I want to stay away from wood unless its still the choice for strength and rigidity. I'm also building new engine beds for a mid-ship Deisel wood or plastic? The 50 year old wood I ripped out of the transom today was amazing so I'm not afraid of using it if it's my best choice. What do you guys think, transom,stringers, deck,engine beds?? Thanks
Mitch
Marlin

Re: Products update

Post by Marlin »

Redid my 31several years ago, replaced strutpads, rudder shelf, deck stringers and risers, decks ,cabin decking, all bulkheads,transom stifner pads, with coosa board of various thicknesses and laminations, it's much lighter and I feel stronger during a flexion type test, u can't screw it together, it must be mechanically attached where needed with bolts and nuts,engine beds were clear Douglas fir epoxied, vacuumed bagged to achieve the thickness ,then thru bolted thru the existing stringers, the weight difference is immense when compared to epoxy saturated plywood, I eventually covered the deck with teak as coosa is extremely soft and will dent, the commercial fishing boats use it and pile there traps on top ,they r not concerned about aesthetics,just durability
Rawleigh

Re: Products update

Post by Rawleigh »

Structural fiberglass forms are available from McMaster Carr for the deck bracing.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31