Diesel air filters

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Diesel air filters

Post by John F. »

I'm brand new to diesels. The 8.2 Detroits on Crows Nest have metal cages with foam for air cleaners. They clamp on to the turbo. The foam is degraded to the point that its coming apart, and is loaded with oil. I'm pretty sure that haven't been cleaned in 5+ years. I can either get some universal air cleaner foam and replace what I have, or get a set of K&N universals. I'm leaning towards the K&Ns. Anybody use 'em? Should I just get new foam? Thanks
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Ryan

Re: Diesel air filters

Post by Ryan »

John, I like my K&N's on my 6BTA's. I clean them once a year and follow up with a good oiling. I think they pay for themselves in a couple years since you shouldn't have to replace them. Even have one in my wife's car now!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

John,
I put K&N filters on my diesels. Go to their website and you can see all the different sizes. They make just about everything....the trick is finding the one that meets your space constraint. I also clean mine once a year which is less than 100 hours.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Cummins 504's on shearwater has been 40 years with nothing more than a screen.....
They still run great.
Should i mess with it now?????
Giff
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Not much dust on a boat, so you don't need the most efficient filter available.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Story, take it for what its worth.

Rebuilt a Yanmar 6LY 420hp diesel at a 16k cost for a couple of young brothers in a See Vee.
I left for vacation a couple days after the sea trial.
Brothers had the boat out, apparently there were plastic ice bags in the bilge from some where. Got sucked up and melted and restricted the intake.
Went back to the dock and removed it and got some hardware cloth over the opening with a clamp.

Loaded up the boat next day for the Bahamas. About 10 miles out another plastic ice bag floated around and got sucked into the engine this time. Plastic melted instantly and gummed open two intake valves and bang two pistons detonated and engine froze.

The boat was waiting for me when I returned with wtf did I do for a crappy rebuild?

Removed the engine, first thing I saw was no air filter, second was plastic residue on hardware cloth, third was air cleaner with melted ice bag around it.
Tore off the head and found residue on two intake valves, called the owner and presented the evidence to him and he let me know what happened.

Unfortunatly on that engine, block is not rebuild able due to hardness of the walls.
16k two weeks ago might as well took a match to it. New engine, 34k.

While dust is not a big factor, a basic foam or paper filter should be minimum.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for all the advice. Appreciate it.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J