Advice on aluminum railings

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Greg A.

Advice on aluminum railings

Post by Greg A. »

Hi guys,

I sold my 15 whaler and picked up a '98 19' mako. Boat is in like new condition, except the aluminum bow and console rails. They aren't really pitted,but could use some tlc. Is it the CX I've seen you all talking about?

Thanks,

Greg
Pete Fallon

Re: Advice on aluminum railings

Post by Pete Fallon »

Greg,
Get a tube of Flitz polish, it's sold at most boating supply stores, works great on aluminum railings, stainless steel and I have used it on fiberglass to bring back the luster in the gel coat. If your aluminum is really bad apply Flitz on some bronze wool, then polish, DO NOT use steel wool, you will end up with rust stains all over your boat. Corrosion X is a good metal protectant after you get the pitting out, great stuff for loosening corroded fittings, as a protective coating on engines, good for s freeing up sea cocks. Can be bought in the same stores.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

Thanks Pete, I was thinking of fritz, but didn't know if it would mess up the anodizing. They are still is really good shape, but I'm a little anal and pretty good wont cut it! I also couldn't remember the full name do the CX... Thanks!

Greg
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Corrosion X
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31