Small Job – Poorly Done – No Complaints

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stephan

Small Job – Poorly Done – No Complaints

Post by Stephan »

I’m thinking about all the perfection and superlative work done by Capt. Pat and Bruce and Bob and JP and Bob and Gert and etc. The board needs a project where everybody knows they could have done better…
I had an Avon inflatable with a rotted transom and 8 yr old sons who could put it to good use. SO:
I cut the inside of the transom and the plywood core was so rotted I was able to remove a lot of it with the shop vac.
Very little chisel work and some grinding and more shop vac and it was cleaned out.
I used some scrap and a glue gun to make a template then transferred that to a solid sheet that was sectioned so I could slide it in to the open transom. Then I used plain old plywood because it was cheap and I was doing a small job poorly.
I did get fancy and set up a table to epoxy on with some poor man’s peel n ply (wax paper) to soak the plywood. I cut the new plywood core on a high angle to facilitate sliding it into the void and prevent having a seam where the drain plug hole would be drilled.
I painted everything with straight epoxy and then gooped the hell out of everything with cabosil and West System and jammed/clamped it all together. After it set up I ground the seams where the inner liner was cut and bridged it with West System and matt. More wax paper, thickened epoxy where screws would go and chopped mat over straight epoxy for the drain hole.
Cosmetically challenged, questionably executed but strong - there were no complaints on the test runs.
Now they just need to eat their Wheaties or make a friend to yank the pull start.
You can revoke my B31 card for a substandard performance but it was an old Avon and my boys don’t care!
Possunt quia posse videntur
Harry Babb

Re: Small Job – Poorly Done – No Complaints

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Stephan.....where is the "LIKE IT A LOT" button.......the smile on little Jr's face says it all.

Thanks for sharing.....great end product...this is the kind of success storys we need to hear about! ! ! !

hb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Perfection is overrated if it don't get done.

What is important is to get out on the water...and be safe. I didn't see any corners cut there.

Very nice!

Carl
John F.

Post by John F. »

NIce. The kids' faces say it all
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Fantastic. I am getting very excited to have my son at the tiller or wheel this summer for a few weeks. No Bertram ready yet, but he'll get to knock around in some welded plate aluminum boats this summer.

Ian.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Wish I was there to help.all worth it for the little guy. Nice job!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Good Stuff!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

It works and is sufficiently strong to perform as needed. The boys don't seem to mind! To them it is the Queen Mary!!

To quote Uncle Vic "Better is the enemy of good". i have lots of projects that never got done because I wanted to do them "right". I should have done them good enough and used them instead of never doing them at all!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

everthing for those happy snouts !!

Nice job , cool dad !!

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Great job..a summer your kids will enjoy..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Stephen,
Brings back memories from 2 years ago my brother gave my son 8 at the time a 14' MFG w/9.9 for free just needed a new transom and some cleaning up. Both of my boy drove me crazey untile I fixed it. I will say it turned out to be my best fiberglass job I have done. Boy they love that little boat. Smiles say it all.
My boys want me to build them a boat like Gert did. No Way. Good Job.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
scot

Post by scot »

The corporate definition of "quality" in today's market is understanding the customers needs, and meeting that need. You did exactly that! Those kids needed a functional boat, which you provided...Therefore that is a text book example of a "quality" job you did on that little RIB!

Nice :-)
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0