floscan flo net system

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

floscan flo net system

Post by Bruce »

Been doing a little project involving floscans flo net system nema 2000 com and a Garmin 740 gps.

The pic shows a slow speed run but the output info is revealing. You start by entering your fuel capacity after the com system communicates with the gps.
Then it gives you fuel burn, nm/gal, fuel remaining in tank as its burned off, distance available to travel based on fuel burn.

Thru the 2000 com system it can be displayed on as many devices as hooked up to the network. The 2000 system is a breeze to hookup.

If one had an inkling to travel at sailboat speed, this little 31 can travel quite the distance.

If anyone has any questions, post em.

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: floscan flo net system

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have always calculated my trolling fuel burn at something close to those numbers. 1100 RPM, 7.1 knots, 5 knmg, range 1000 miles. Probably further at 6 knots.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Bruce-
That looks excellent.
6 nm/gal wow! Are the fuel flow readings reliable at that low a rate?
Turn to about 25 deg and be at the rendezvous... in a week...
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Once a floscan system is calibrated properly they can be accurate to the drop. Rpm won't matter.

Installation is a key factor.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Pretty damn impressive!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Parker

Post by Parker »

Bruce,
OK, now I am interested. That is impressive.

I have a Garmin 740s that I simply haven't had the time to install. When I do install it, I had not planned on using the fuel flow function because I had heard that it really wasn't very accurate primarily due to a lack of decent sending equipment that would work with it. However it looks like you are using some different equipment than what I had researched.

Please let me know what equipment/parts, other than the Garmin 740 you obtained to get such great results.... brand names, model numbers, where to purchase, etc... Any tips with regard to installation would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tom,
The maker is floscan out of seattle. It's called their Flownet system.

The actual model depends on what engines you have. Their number is 1-800-522-3610.

Depending on how many devices you hook into the nema 2000 com system you'll need cables, t's and dead end resistor. That can be had from Garmin.

For just the floscans you'll need 2 - 3 meter back bone cables, two t's, 1 dead end resistor and depending on how far the gps is from the flowscan boxes and t's, you'll need that length back bone cable. They only have certain lengths so if its longer, its okay.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

http://www.lspeedo.com/htm/flowscan-pages/floscan1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Parker

Post by Parker »

Thanks
I had checked into the Floscan equipment once before because I knew of the quality of their product and had considered using a complete Flowscan system to monitor the fuel. I did not know they were compatible with the Garmin. Fantastic! I am glad I asked.
Tom.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Keith, it's ironic you posted Lauderdale Speedo's link. I just used them two weeks ago to calibrate my two compasses. They were out quite a bit.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

That looks like it would be very nice to have. I just reset the trip odometer on my GPS every time I fill up. I am usually pretty close to judging how many gallons I am down but the piece of mind would be great. Heck, I don't even have a fuel gauge, just a wood dowel. Might be time to upgrade.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You can buy direct from floscan at 35% off. Ask for Joe. Tell em Bruce sent you. I've known Joe since 93'.

Proper install is very important but not overly complicated and I'm here if you need help if you spring for one.
Parker

Post by Parker »

Thanks again Bruce!
When I get the time to install the system, maybe this fall, I will reach out to you if I need help. Otherwise I will let you know when I finish.
Tom.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

That is really cool! What's the ball park on the price for the FloNet system from FloScan?
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Spoke with Joe at FloScan today.

List price is $2995 per engine.
Friend of Bruce price is $1795 per engine.

Joe recommends Garmin's products as they display all of the information available from the FloNet system. Garmin GMI 10 and GMI 20 are the least expensive "instruments" that will display all information. All of Garmin's NMEA 2000 chartplotters will display the information as well.

Internet rumor that the FlowNet product will not read flow below 2 gph is not accurate. Properly installed, the FlowNet system reads any flow.
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

JohnV8r wrote:List price is $2995 per engine.
Gas or diesel?!... I understand that the diesel versions are more then the gas versions... Due to the fact that a diesel will need two sensors... One on the supply and one on the return...
JohnV8r wrote:Friend of Bruce price is $1795 per engine.
And how do I get the "Friend of Bruce" price?!...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Not for me but maybe another brother could use them?!...

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-forum ... oscan.html
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

JohnV8r wrote:Friend of Bruce price is $1795 per engine.

And how do I get the "Friend of Bruce" price?!...
Nav

It is like knocking on the door of the speak easy and when the little window opens you say "Bruce Sent me".
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:It is like knocking on the door of the speak easy and when the little window opens you say "Bruce Sent me".
IOW, call them and say Bruce from Bertram31.com sent me?!...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Navatech wrote:IOW, call them and say Bruce from Bertram31.com sent me?!...

LOL

You got it. You not only get the discount but a bottle of smuggled in Scotch is included.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315