Sky Bahamas

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Sky Bahamas

Post by SteveM »

Glad I have the ability to go back and forth from FL to Bahamas more reliably now with the new Diesels.
Just in today, this is our landing strip in Marsh Harbour. Plane skidded off strip in rain and took good a hit. Would love to hear the play by play from the person in that window seat.
Flights are roughly $400 rt. per person all said and done. It will take me 200 gallons rt. Me and one other person it's a break even...and it's more fun and there is no luggage fee ;)
http://www.tribune242.com/news/2013/jun ... ds-runway/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Pete Fallon

Re: Sky Bahamas

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
It's always an adventure flying into the islands, even in good weather, I used to fly on Chaulks sea planes years ago, talk about rough landings. I 'll take a 31 Bertram crossing anyday over those flying death traps that Sky flies. Have you made the crossing on the Duchess yet, I know last weekend wasn't the best weather.
Peter Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Pete, the plan is to leave Thursday morning next week. I can post the SPOT link. It transmits frequently enough for the viewer to calculate travel time and distance...it's main purpose is to show family that you are not stuck floating up the Gulf Stream. We hope to run straight to Spanish, clear customs and keep on to Hope Town. If it's a nice day we may be able to do the 180-200 miles in 8-9 hours. Someone just posted these pictures, they are not mine, but if anyone here has not seen the water quality over there these shots do it justice, one cool pic on page two of what looks like the space shuttle breaking the sound barrier. http://www.flickr.com/photos/42427255@N ... 102497925/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve, need a mate? :-)
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
Have a good crossing, those pictures are nice the only thing lacking is there are no 31' Bertram's any of the pictures. Brings back a lot of memories haven't been to the islands since 2001.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Steve, congrats on getting the motors, you'll love em. I try to make Spanish but the banks can get sloppy with a little eastvwind. 15 kts. You can clear at Walkers but the entrance is poorly marked,,, if you plead ignorance and beg$$ they will come to Rosies at Grand after 4 r so, much better. Spanish is 40 more miles and Grand is worth a stop, again congrats, a whole new boat!
Bill
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Missing the Abacos this year but we 're using the boat much more in the Keys cuz we drive ther and stay aboard for 4 or 5 days when I' m not flying. Be back next summer. Just flew into Marsh harbor from Bermuda the other day nice view over H town coming from the east. Diff perspective, saw your place,sweet.
Bill