REPOWER

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

REPOWER

Post by Bill G. »

Getting close to repowering my 28 that currently has 230 Mercuisers with carbs gonna put gassers back in any suggestions would be welcomed.Marina talking to me about remanufactuered Mercruisers...TXS Bill G.
Charlie J

Re: REPOWER

Post by Charlie J »

if i was putting in gas engines, i would only put in crusaders, just my point of view
1968 hull # 316 - 757
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

Charlie's right on. http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasEngines.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Have you set a budget because that's going to dictate your choices.

The current engines just tired, broke,?

Are you looking to save fuel, carb vs mpi, are you looking for more speed?

Have the engine beds been checked for rot, can be a costly repair that cuts into your engine budget. Every 28 I repowered that hadn't already had repaired beds had rot of some type that needed repair or complete replacement.
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Txs Bruce tried to send you a pm
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Nothing came thru.
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Bruce not sure why it didn't go hit me at wsgiarratana@yahoo and I'll send it ...TXS Bill
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Bill & Bruce:

Can you keep is posted on the details if you don't mind. Going to be In a similar position also on my 28. Thanks much.

Mark
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Hey Bruce take a look at your e-mail when u get a chance....TXS Bill
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Hi Bill:

Did you make any decisions on what you are going to do here? Just curious because at some point I may be in the same predicament.

Thanks,
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I repowered my 28 with GM 350 carb, FWC. I purchased almost all engine parts through Michigan Motorz... they were helpful and price was very competitive. I had the Velvet Drives remanned by TMI in Ft. Lauderdale. I reused non-mechanical parts (brackets and such) and built up the engines myself rather than buying a complete package... saved a few bucks.

Bruce is absolutely right... I replaced all of my sisters as there was rot. While the engines were out, I ripped out everything down to the fiberglass and rewired as much as practicle.

Had the running gear serviced, balanced, etc and installed new shaft logs, stuffing boxes and cutlass bearings.

Mechanically like new.
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

What Paul J said if it's a gas to gas repower of the motors only, you may not end up with brand name motors or parts/service manuals but it's the most cost effective way for a gas repower............just make sure and use quality bolt on parts where you need new.

Be attentive with respect to engine height........for the repower of my '76 B28 FBC I had to use standard [non hi-rise] intake manifolds on the GM 350 carb'd motors so as to close the hatch covers.

Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Paul,Preston thanks for the feed back still working on it have decided what motors yet but it looks like I'm pretty limited as to what fits......TXS Bill G
Preston Burrows

Bill:

If you do decide to 'build your own' motors make sure and re-use your oil pans if you can............you should have aluminum oil pans on your Mercruisers now..............versus the current stamped steel pans they are priceless..........

I had Mercruiser MIE 230's with 305 blocks prior to my repower.............could not find a dimensioned sketch for those motors anywhere to compare new motors dimensions with, even Mercruiser themselves could not provide me with a dimensioned sketch [if you have one you can send me I'd gratefully receive it!].............bottom line with my then existing and still current Borg Warner 71C straight drive transmissions was that any new engines with high rise intakes would be a very close fit regardless of what fuel type, carb'd/TBI/MPI etc.

I don't buy in to the Crusader or any particular engine marinizer is best theory..............the key in my mind being quality parts and fully closed cooling with respect to longevity - along of course with careful preventative maintenance and not continuously running the boat on the pins........

Do post up on your decisions and progress please!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Thanks Preston may look you up as I get a little closer...Bill G
scot

Post by scot »

PCM (Pleasure Craft Marine) is about as inexpensive of marinizing components you can find. I have used their parts without any issue.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Preston Burrows

Scott:

Yes, most of my parts are PCM branded as well !
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285