Volvo Gas Engine Survey

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stephan

Volvo Gas Engine Survey

Post by Stephan »

Gentlemen-
I am looking for a Volvo Gas engine mechanic to do a pre-buy survey on a 2007 Hunt Harrier 25 located on Cape Cod. The engine is an 8.1 liter V8, 375 hp with a jack shaft to a Volvo XDP drive. The engine and drive have a reported 140 hours.

The broker claims that no-one but a Volvo rep is allowed to use the engine diagnostics tool and that he never allows buyers to have someone read the codes from the engine because they could change all the settings and mess the engine up.... I find all of this odd. The broker is recommending that the mechanic from the local yard come for a ride on the boat and take an oil sample... Is there something special about Volvo??

Thank you,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Volvo Gas Engine Survey

Post by mike ohlstein »

Special.....

Like all of the engines that ride the short bus.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I guess the broker seems to think so...or has a special bond with local yard mechanic.

Either way I am not a huge fan of Volvo...that is unless it's "Brandy New" with no intentions of keeping after that "Brandy New" feeling wears off...

Then again, years have gone by since I had to work on one... so things may be different. But I'm still kinda shell shocked as to why they replaced a simple water hose and hose clamp setup with an Alum Tube, Flange and O-Ring....really shocked when I found out what a new one would cost if I could wait a week or so to have it shipped into the dealer. Glad I can weld alum pretty decently...
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I have the 5.7 OSXi @320 hp in my baron. I am very happy with the engine and the leg. I call total BS on the yard mechanic, though. It is true that you could mess with the settings in the ECM, but why? All you want to do is confirm hours and read any fault codes present. Anyone with the correct cabling and software probably has enough invested to care about the outcome and whould not mess with the settings just for shits and giggles.

I would put alot of stock in a complete thorough physical and mechanical inspection. The drives are vey expensive - over 10K for a new OEM replacement - so I would make sure that gets properly inspected including oil samples. I have found on the 5.7 the starter location makes it badly suceptible to rust.

I have about 250 hours on mine since new, half in salt, half in fresh, always pushing the boat very hard and I really like the package, superb fuel economy, steers well, even in reverse, always strarts on the first crank, even when hot on a hot day. Doesn't use oil or coolant. Good motors and drives in my book.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You cannot change any settings other than to put the engine in a service mode to time it.
The engine cannot be run other than to time, then put back into regular mode.
The programming is not change able by using a code scan reader. You can reset codes to see if they return or after the problem is fixed but that is all.

One thing you can tell is the total hours, maybe someone doesn't want you to see that.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Like most brokers, this one is full of shit. I'd tell him you're going to do it your way with your own surveyor or you're walking away from the boat. Its just a GM block, its not like Volvo is doing something magical with these gas engines once they get them from GM.
Regards,

Doug L.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Thanks gentlemen-
I've got a Volvo service guy from MacDougall's in Falmouth scheduled for next Wednesday.
Onward...
Stephan
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Have heard positive feedback on McDougals. Good luck.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Stephan,
I just got back from the Boston area last night, It might be too late but the best engine surveyor in the area is Bob Gallagher 978-807-2163, he is SAMS accredited since 1998 and a good friend. If you have any reservations about the Volvo mechanic give Bob a call he is in Beverly, Mass. Be careful buying Volvos the parts are very, very ,very expensive and rust out are major problems with them. Like Bruce said be careful of the broker he might be hiding something.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Pete and all-
Thanks for the support. Tom Stainton at MacDougal's sent Bob Hutchinson who has experience with Hunt Harriers and Surfhunters with Volvo power.
We had a short sea trial and then the boat was hauled for the outdrive inspection. The engine made 4,800 RPMs, shifting was a solid "clunk", no grinding noises and the jack-shaft appeared well balanced. The Voia (SP?) code reader was not working correctly so Bob is going back to the boat today to check that. We should have the engine/outdrive oil analysis by this time next week and have the full picture then.
The initial impression is of a good boat that is due for risers and manifolds (original) in the next season.
Best and thanks,
Stephan

dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

x2 on Bob Gallagher. He surveyed both my boats.
Regards,

Doug L.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I have done business on occasion with Bobby Gallagher since he was at Beverly Harbor Marina when I lived in Beverly. Honest, knowledgeable and reliable. And a nice guy!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Stephan,
4800 RPMS sounds like she's got a small prop 4400 to 4600 is about right. Good luck, nice looking boat.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

All-
Thank you for your help.
The oil reports came back well for the engine oil and trace of water for the drive oil. Seller agreed to a price reduction to replace the seals in the outdrive... my brother in law will own the boat in a couple of days.
Best,
Stephan