Teak Flooring in Settee - Need Advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Teak Flooring in Settee - Need Advice

Post by JohnV8r »

I have teak & holly veneered plywood that will be going in where the settee floor is. This is what the old floor looked like:

The stock floor covering was simply adhered to the part of the hull that would have been exposed where the wood ended. Here is a shot of the floor bedding material to give an idea of how short the actual wood floor ended (you can see where the plywood met the bedding material.

What is the fix for putting flooring in that area? I could cut a piece of the teak & holly veneer at an angle and try to mate it with the main floor, but before I try that I was hoping for some recommendations based on past experience.

Thanks in advance,

John Vietor
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
John F.

Re: Teak Flooring in Settee - Need Advice

Post by John F. »

When I redid the interior on the Anna E., I just cut the floor at an angle and painted that section white. Simple, and I thought it looked fine.

1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Nice work John..that looks great..getting plenty of ideas to finish my cabin ..after she floats that is...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

John,

Three quick questions:

1) What paint did you use in that area? Awlgrip?

2) Did you fill and fair that area prior to painting?

3) Do you miss the storage that was originally under the settee? I never really had anything down there and am seriously considering not putting a hatch into the teak and holly flooring.

Thanks!

John Vietor
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
John F.

Post by John F. »

John-

I used Toplac (a single part paint) rolled and tipped. I had a 12K Cruisair under the forward seat--that white vent thing you can see under the table is the return. I still had storage under the aft seat. Both seats had access under the seat cushion. It was a lot more convenient to me than the slide out drawers that were in there. I did a quick fill and fair of that area that you're talking about. It's not in a spot that anybody notices, and it looked fine to me.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J