Painting Aluminum question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

martinciarpella

Painting Aluminum question

Post by martinciarpella »

Got a set of anodized black aluminum outriggers that are faded badly, what is the best paint product to use to return it back to nice and black.......Thanks in advance gentlemen.
CamB25

Re: Painting Aluminum question

Post by CamB25 »

If they are indeed anodized, then I recommend stripping/etching then have them powder coated black. But...I don't recall if powder coating is complatible with a anodized surface. We had a similar fading problem with aluminum window frames on railcars. No issues since we switched to powder coating the frames, but I think we had to scrap the anodized versions. Might have been an economic decision rather than a technical problem with the anodized surface.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Martin,

Painting aluminum outriggers, at least in my opinion, would be a disaster.

First, you'd have to paint everything fully assembled because once painted the tubes will have changed dimension due to the paint film. Add to that you'd make the riggers heavier and maybe put more strain on the stay wires then they could stand under a live load.

The cost of epoxy primer,linear polyester paint, and the specialized prep to asure a reasonable service life of paint over aluminum would probably be as, if not more, expensive, than just having them re-anodized... There's maybe more anodizing companies around your area, but at least check with Eastern Plating in Baltimore.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
martinciarpella

Post by martinciarpella »

Thanks Capt, as always a great advice with multiple examples....We did get them on a steal and would have liked to have kept that way with doing all the work ourselves ( as always) but anodizing might be the best solution for near perfect results.......Thanks as always.