rub rail installation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ljmauricio

rub rail installation

Post by ljmauricio »

Just finished installing Alex'x rub rail on our 1965 Sportfish. Here's a summary of our project. Old rail took about 4 1/2 hours to remove. About 85% of the screws could be removed with a screwdriver and a lot of muscle. The rail was thru bolted on each side of the joints and had to be removed by cutting the bolt heads off with a 4" Makita grinder with a metal cutting blade along with the screws that couldn't be removed by hand. The rivets were all in good shape so no refastening of the flange was necessary. We filled the old screw holes and a few gaps in the flange with West System six/10. We pencil marked on the hull the location of each rivet in order to avoid pilot drilling thtu them for the new rail screws. We laid out the location of the new screws being careful to avoid the rivets and not conflict with the screw locations for the stainless pieces. In spite of our best efforts several screws had to be relocated when we installed the stainless. The transom corner miters were a challenge. There is excess rail so you get a couple of shots at getting it right. The first corner took us 2 tries. On the 2nd corner you get one chance at getting the transom piece right since the rail cannot be moved at this point. The side piece has excess lenght so you have a couple shots at getting that miter right. We got that corner right on the first try. The rail fit the hull tight in most places, but there are spots That will definetly need caulking, particularly underneath the transom corners. The new rail makes a helluva difference in the boat appearance. Our boat is in very good condition appearance wise, but that old aluminum rail gave it away as an old boat. Project was well worth it. We're in the process of painting the hull now.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: rub rail installation

Post by CaptPatrick »

Leo,

Good upgrade!

When you paint the hull, consider painting the PVC guard rail with it... Remove the stainless, scuff the PVC well with 180 grit and prime away. If you're painting the hull a different color from the top sides, make your masking line down the center of the guard rail; the stainless rub rail will hide the transition.

Left unpainted, the PVC will chaulk out, get stained, dirty and be a continual mantenance item.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Might want to file the corners

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

I am soon to be doing the same job, what size screws did you use to install the rub rail? Did you use 5200 or 4200 under it? The Whittacker guy who sold me mine recommended 5200. Any comments? Capt. Pat, what primer to use on the PVC? Thanks.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bradley,

White Sikaflex®-291 LOT is a good choice, far better than any 3M product. Use 2" #10 flathead tapping screws for attaching the PVC rail, 1" #8 oval head tapping screws fot the SS rub rail.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Is that the same color ? guess it would not matter if you are painting.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I was the "inside" guy who got to hold the locknuts still while my smarter than me friend had to turn the screwdriver on all the bolts. I still remember fondly the joy of crawing in under the starboard side galley sink and stretching straight out to reach a couple of the bolts fore and aft. Good times -- lots of scars, I might have used a curse word--just once. I used Sikaflex too, nice to have it stay pliable and be removable if need be.

Tom