Rod Holder Reinforcement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Rod Holder Reinforcement

Post by JohnV8r »

While I have everything out, I want to reinforce the backing for my rod holders. I'm assuming that 1/2 plywood sandwiched like the composite rudder shelf tip in Capt Patricks tips would work. However, can someone give me an idea as to the amount of area that has to be added to out from the rod holder hole so that I'm not just creating a larger plug that would rip out of the gunnel with enough force (i.e. do I need to go 10" in each direction from the rod holder hole)?

Would adding woven roving alone under the gunnel add more strength as opposed to composite plywood?

Thanks in advance,

John
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
spencer

Re: Rod Holder Reinforcement

Post by spencer »

I used coosa board and made a piece that reinforced the hole area from the gunnel
Where the engine boxes terminate to the stern, epoxied in place, no rot to deal with
But plywood would work also just seal it with epoxy
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

i used a 2 x 6 under the rail on my skip jack it was about 8' long combining all the railing togeather and through bolted the rod holders.

They did not hold up to my deep trolling with 100# of drag so i believe i used 2' aluminum pipe and ran it down to the deck and drilled the deck then i put a rod holder inside the aluminum pipe and screwed it down to keep it from spinning.

I saw some of the commercial guys for giants are using metal brackets bolted through the hull with backing plates on the outside of the hull.
It looked like the used the nut on the bottom of the swivel rod holders to attach the bracket to.

I also saw they are not using wood to mount the cleat they are mounting it to the hull with a backing plate.

Believe I'll do the same because i am not going to replace the shelves around the deck just open up to the railing.

Hope it turns out perfect for you.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.