Could use some transmission input...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt Rex
Location: Vessel: Stock Island, Fl; Me: Malibu, CA when not on board

Could use some transmission input...

Post by Capt Rex »

Have TAMD41b's with MS4A transmissions. What little research I found on these trans were that they were designed for inboard/outboards (explains why they clunk into gear). I have rebuilt the two tranny's and the starboard now shutters at idle as it did prior to rebuild with less than 50 hours after rebuild. Appears to have been a bandaid to a problem that wasn't properly fixed although I have to say worked fine until recently after long runs at cruising (3,100 RPM) shattering only at idle in gear has slowly gotten worse exactly like it did prior to rebuild. Anyone have any knowledge? Do I have a shot to go back to the trans rebuilder? I have not been a fan of these trannys since I've owned the boat; have heard 2nd hand info about an expensive Volvo hydrolic tranny that will substitute without having to raise the TAMD's to retro an aftermarket hydrolic tranny (no room in a B 28). Appreciate if anyone has any knowledge on the subject...

Thanks, Rex
Bob H.

Re: Could use some transmission input...

Post by Bob H. »

Rex, If the gears are functioning fine have you checked the flex plate? Over time they do start to chatter at idle..just a thought..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Capt Rex

Post by Capt Rex »

Thanks Bob, very helpful, learning curve continues and beginning to understanding the issue is indeed likely not the tranny itself. Been advised to clean a probable dirty injector (thus making the main idle rough and causing the problem) or simply raise the idle higher (haven't learned yet how to do on these Volvos). The problem does stop when I throttle up a tad but the tacks are still reading the same at idle on both mains and the chatter has gotten so progressively worse on the one main apparent worse after long runs.

On prior diesels I have had I was able to loosen injectors to allow air and determine a plugged injector by a no response after loosening... feasible/good way to problem solve with these TAMD's? Any words of wisdom to remove, clean and reinstall these injector(s) or would you recommend a mechanic being rather a laymen myself?

Very grateful for any insight or tidbits!
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

I concur with the problem being possibly a dirty injector, had similar problem with a carburetor causing tranny noise in my previous boat. Also, it might be gear lash. My 31 Bahia Mar port tranny makes a clacking noise while idling in gear with both engines running. If I just idle along with only the port engine running, there is a constant load on the gears and the gear lashing (noise) stops.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console
Capt Rex

Post by Capt Rex »

Thx, will try my old school fuel/injector cleaning trick when I get down to the boat next- fill fuel filter(s) with transmission fluid and run through engine (diesel only)... Great little trick