Barry engine mounts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Barry engine mounts

Post by Kevin »

I found myself a bit stumped in how to pick a mount. Other than stud size, how do you know which mount is the right one?
Divide by 4 with the weight specification since there are 4 mounts per motor? Is overkill better? Sometimes the things that seem simple are not.

Getting all these projects done by the end of may is going to be like watching an episode of Fast and Loud.
Ironman

Re: Barry engine mounts

Post by Ironman »

I used these mounts, when installing Cummins...very good quality... ..I was however overlooking the difficulty of replacing the raw water pump ....consider spacing them with a custom extention to set it away from the housing ...
Wayne
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kevin,

Dividing your engine weight by 4 is the key... The Barry Mount #27166 is rated at a max engine weight of 900 lbs using 4 mounts. #27391 is rated at a minimum engine weight of 1,400 lbs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your Steyrs weigh about 750 lbs bob tailed. With transmissions they probably total a little more than 800 lbs each.

So I think you'd be OK with the 27166

Bruce may have a different take on the subject. He's the mechanic, not me.

You might also call Barry Controls and see what they say: (800) 227-7962

Barry Controls 27391

Barry Controls 27166
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Pat,
I think that is about right with the weight. I am thinking the bigger ones may be better for longevity? I found a set of 4 on ebay for 395 dollars. They say Cummins on them but I don't care about that. Unless there are any objections I am thinking about pulling the trigger. I am guessing there are only two stud sizes for smaller mounts like these. The ones I have now require bushings to fill the gap so these might be actually the right size.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Kevin,
Using too heavy of a mount will not preload them and can lead to more noise transfer especially the type with the pin visible thru the hole on the side.
Luckily those Steyers are not real knockers.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bruce,
Just so I understand, since my motors are not knockers the 1400 pounders are acceptable to use?
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Kevin,

This is a link to the mounts that I have on my 256's. If nothing else, just a referance to what the factory installed and to compare any aftermarket swap out.

Why are you changing? Did the old ones fail? or too much movement right now?

http://www.industrialacoustics.com/uk/d ... mounts.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ray
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

We rushed the install to get it to the boat show back in 2006 I think it was. The front mounts had too much pre load, they were angled back a bit. Hatches leaked at the rear and water caused some rust that I did not stay on top of. Spray rails also leaked and salt water got to one of the mounts and I never addressed it either. Now it is just time to freshen up and install them right. None of them broke, just look wore out.

Spent a few hours reading about the different Barry mounts. I am going to call them this week and find out their exact recommendation.
A bit more to it that I thought. Never realized the side pin style till Bruce mentioned it.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Kevin,
Dont remember your exact install but the stud should not be angled back vs its base. The stud should always remain 90 degrees to its base even if the stringers or brackets angle the mount back. If the front mount does not have a pin that rotates to take the angle, the angle has to be built into the base structure.

I know I sold Steyer the pin adjustable angle gear mounts so they will be a non issue.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The rear ones are easy due to the round peg in round hole so you can get them to rotate easily to 90 degrees. The front I had to put in large pieces of angled aluminum to the beds. Kind of a PITA. That is one thing steyr could have put more thought into. I am no engineer though.