oil again

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

oil again

Post by Russ Pagels »

Hey, one more question.what is the oil capacity of the Cummins 6BTA 250 engine. ya I know I have to get the engine manual...Thanks Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
JP Dalik

Re: oil again

Post by JP Dalik »

Buy 7 gallons of Rotella 15-30 put what's left as reserve.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

I know I have to get the engine manual...
Russ, you could join the http://boatdiesel.com/ site and for a very modest sum (25.00 US$) you can download all imaginable manuals for your engine, gear and generator (if you have one). You can also get real professional advice regarding marine diesel engines. There are quite a few real life mechanics there. Ooops... I meant to say technicians rather then mechanics :-)

Disclaimer: I have no connection to that site other then that I'm a satisfied user (and very occasional contributor).
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Russ

My recon 270's hold 13 quartes on each side. The 250's mhave to be close to that.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I'm pretty sure all of the B series will be the same. 13 quarts.
Regards,

Doug L.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Thanks every one ,I have my 7 gal of oil and filters. Now I just need it to stop raining, and get warm enough so the oil pours. thanks Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Navatech wrote: Russ, you could join the http://boatdiesel.com/ site and for a very modest sum (25.00 US$) you can download all imaginable manuals for your engine, gear and generator (if you have one). You can also get real professional advice regarding marine diesel engines. There are quite a few real life mechanics there. Ooops... I meant to say technicians rather then mechanics :-)

Disclaimer: I have no connection to that site other then that I'm a satisfied user (and very occasional contributor).

You need a lesson on Internet manners and how not to insult very good people especially being new to the site and having no idea the back ground of people here.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

You need a lesson on Internet manners and how not to insult very good people especially being new to the site and having no idea the back ground of people here.
Seeing as you have no idea about my background let me fill you in:
  • I have been on internet forums like this one since the mid 90's. I know what's acceptable. A little light banter is acceptable most places.
  • I myself was of those "mechanics" (or "technicians" if you prefer that term) - I happen to refer to my past as "grease monkey". I have no problem with any of those monickers. As have none of my former colleagues that I know personally. In fact, many of them find this upward creeping "professional terminology" quite ludicrous.
  • I have no idea what you mean by "insult".
I think that you might have missed the "smiley". And if you didn't, perhaps you should lighten up ;-) Hint: that's more light natured banter.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I'll spell it out.

"You can also get real professional advice regarding marine diesel engines. There are quite a few real life mechanics there. "

The use of the words "real" and "professional" indicate you feel the advice given here is anything but.

Whether or not you want to use the term grease monkey, mechanic or technician with a smiley face has no bearing on your comment.

Nothing wrong with mentioning boat diesel. Many here are members there also.
Just don't do it by blanket insulting the integrity of the people here.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

I'll spell it out.
Thank you.
The use of the words "real" and "professional" indicate you feel the advice given here is anything but.
If I had used quotes then you might have a case. As it is, you're merely interpreting what I wrote as an insult. IOW, the "insult" isn't in what I actually wrote but rather in how you, subjectively, interpreted it. FYI, there was no insult and certainly none was intended. Forums such as this one are textual and therefore open to misinterpretation (seeing as they lack the subtleties of RL P2P communication such as body language and facial expressions). My practice is to interpret posts literally (rather then try and deduct hidden meanings). It's also my practice to give people the benefit of doubt. Especially considering the fact that not everybody has English as their first language.

FWIW, if I truly thought that the people here have no real knowledge why would I ask questions regarding my own boat here?
Whether or not you want to use the term grease monkey, mechanic or technician with a smiley face has no bearing on your comment.
Frankly, how you, subjectively, interpreted my comment has no bearing on what I actually posted. To wit, the fact that I believed, wrongly, that it was the little mechanic/technician joke that got you rattled. I guess I made the same error (assuming non existent facts) that you made.
Just don't do it by blanket insulting the integrity of the people here.
That "insult" exists only within your head. And, once more, if I doubted the integrity of people here I wouldn't be here. Be that as it may be, I think it's clear that this mini fracas is a simple misunderstanding and I suggest that we let bygones be bygones. Water under the bridge so to speak.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

and I suggest that we let bygones be bygones. Water under the bridge so to speak.
Yup, let it rest...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

And herein lies the problem with forums, text messages, and emails. Intent sometimes gets lost or mis-interpreted when reading someone else's post.
Regards,

Doug L.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I believe this is a good time to re-post what good ole' Capt. Pat wrote in the old Swap and Sell Board describing the people that post and are part of this site....I cannot find it.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

I cannot find it
LOL... Lost in cyber space!
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Capt. Pat:

LOL....that doesn't happen very often, but this time I don't have an idea in how to get that post back.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

David,

Could you be thinking about:
Third, you have to be respectful of the other members that frequent this section of the forums. We are a family here, often refered to as the "Faithful". We have over a decade of history based on friendship and respect for one another.

If so, that ones under the "Politics" announcement... And, yup, it applies to all sections of the forum group.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

That's what I'm writing about!.....shame on me, I should have figured: POLITICS!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

We need the leader of the Mean Team to set us all straight.

As the Capt. said time to lighten up guys. That has always separated this board from a lot of the others.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

You're all big boys......just take it outside. There's no room for fighting here.

As long as we all wind up singing kumbaya around the campfire after a long day of fishing, it's all good.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315