Windshield insert

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Windshield insert

Post by Dug »

Hi all, If the planets align, chips fall in the right order, etc, I will be having the windshield replaced this coming winter.

I plan to use the Holmsey insert. If anyone else in the northeast is thinking of doing this, we might be able to save a buck by crating and shipping together. Just wanted to give a heads up. I will know for sure if I am doing this by the end of April. If you are interested, let me know. Could be good for all involved. Then again, might not matter a bit. But its worth a shot!

Best,

Dug
Bob H.

Re: Windshield insert

Post by Bob H. »

Dug, Glassed in front windsheild and new hardtop??Ive been talking with Rick...Alchemy is getting quite the upfit...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Hi Bob,

We shall see. I will known in a couple weeks if I can swing it.

If so, next winter should be interesting...

Dug
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Dug his shop is located in the general area of south Florida boat builders . Find a boat dealer going their with trailer and he can put windshield inside boat. A hell of a lot safer then ups,fed-x playing volleyball with it ,as they toss it into the truck.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bobfioresi

Post by bobfioresi »

DUG; HI. I had a pulpit go thru my starboard curved plastic winshield If you go ahead and do yours, i'd be interested in the one your replacing if its good thanx bob f FAYED KNOT
Dug

Post by Dug »

Good Call Bob,

And Bob, I will if I get to that point.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Dug don't let any body sway you away from insert this is the best way taking in to account of inside finish product.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Another view

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Before you even start make sure you have this port a power. Makes the job a hell of a lot easier.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Good Call Bob,

And Bob, I will if I get to that point.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, Would you send me more of the installation shots? Please? :)
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Porta power being used to make windshield conform exactly to raised fiberglass area that Bertram placed OEM glass windshield. You need 44 -----11/2" long by 1/4" dia 316 SS lag bolts for bottom of new windshield. Start in exact center of new windshield on exact center of boat and put two bolts tighten with 3/8" socket set I pre drilled about 4" apart on either side of center.the windshield will be out on the sides a mile ,forget don't look . Now you ate going to " walk" the windshield into place by installing one bolt at a time.you will stretch the windshield to coincide with that OEM raised area.here is photo.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Forget the bridge connection until you get all bottom bolts in completely around,now you use cheap tape to tape windshield on bottom inside it will be a very jagged terrible joint ,that good! ( when you remove the old windshield you ground that raised are to green glass all the way around with 30 grit.same with top joint.under the bridge.now you tape out side real good with two layer of tape and you mix "granite" that is 50/50 high density filler and colloidal silca ( don't walk away and leave a few days you will really think you are sanding granite). Put the epoxy mix into a empty calking tupe and purchase a pro caulking gun the type with double rail.on the out side you use a pencil to make first hole on starboard side end of windshield and a hole about 4"away along tape line. You will force the epoxy in joint and air out until epoxy flows out go all the way around you will have a even bulge on inside tape.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Outside

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Remove all post taking the weight of bridge off the windshield ,now this is a bitch but you are prepared with a shop. They make a spring type drive for a drill and a 1/4" right angle drill to drill thru the inside of new windshield top strip into the heavy mohogony strip that is exposed when you remove inside ceiling.you will drive 3" SS screws into that wood beam.yea man strong like bull!.you do same epoxy procedure on top.you have now permanently joined the bridge to the deck which in another post has 144 bolts thru rub rail to join deck and hull.that is why when you and all the others drove my boat and it feel totally differant.one piece battering ram..

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Old canvass but that's the look but most of all the feel of the boat when driving!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Looking at procedure I should first mention I ordered my windshield with clear fir for bottom and top border which is totally incapsulated in resin , and you should pre drill the top border before putting in place. The angle of windshield makes for very differcult drilling even with flexible drive on drill.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Perfect my friend. It is looking like if I go ahead, I will be using a different installer than the fellow you and Pat talked with this past summer. He came to the rendezvous, and I have not heard from him since. Ya, just what I want to do. Chase for a quote. Are you serious? What about the work? What will it be like then???
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Dug- I did mine last winter and used the Holmesy insert. There is a local man here in NJ who hauls boats back and forth to Florida and he picked up the insert for me at a very reasonable price. No crating was necessary. The insert was a huge upgrade. No leaks, solid, tight, looks great. You should also replace the side windows with the kit that Capt. Pat makes. I made my own, mainly because I wanted to. If the decision were purely economic it would be idiotic not but to buy the kit from Capt. Patrick.
The job is a beast because you are disrupting the whole inside cabin and from pillar to pillar on the outside from the deck up to the underside of the flybridge. It all has to be faired back in and painted and it is a nightmare of curves and reverse angles. Ever try spraying Awlgrip upside down? Capt Patrick has a pictorial on the whole process that I used as my guide. I can’t imagine what someone would charge for the whole job.
I took pictures of the whole process and I will try and post them. I have a picture handy that inadvertently shows the inside view behind my brother and a fluke. The fluke is the one with its mouth wide open, my brother is the keeper thumbing the scale.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Nice doormat...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?